It was a bit of a challenge but I did get it done. 😃 Initially when I started quilting this little cutie I thought that quilting the first row was a bit difficult because of broken threads but I also realized I needed to learn a lot. One of the first things is staying in control of the machine so that I make deliberate movements and hopefully have less wobbles in the curves. I also need to work on spacing so that it does look a bit more consistent within each motif. I'm not going for the look of a pantograph but I do want it to look more polished. lol I guess the good thing is that I was consistently inconsistent so nothing is really standing out. The quilting really shows up so much better on the back. 😍
|So pretty - beautiful texture!|
Once I started the second row I realized how easy the first row was in comparison - no kidding. With the first row it was fairly easy to find an escape route if I got trapped. Not so easy to do in the rest of the rows so I have lots of in-artful backtracking and quilting lines where I had to find a route to an open space.
I still had a lot of thread breaks and I did everything I could think of except change my thread spool. I rethreaded the machine, changed the needle, adjusted the tension, changed the bobbin, etc. but I still had a lot of difficulty. It could be that the thread was a problem but I didn't have another cone of the same colour and I didn't want to switch colours mid quilt. I got through it mostly but when I got to the very last row I guess I was tired by then and I just made a lot more mistakes with my quilting because I was just done and I wanted it to be finished. There is a lesson there too and that it is better to call it a day than to push through when I am really tired.
It's not a big quilt - 59" x 75" and was quilted with light blue thread and blue magnaglide in the bobbin. I used Hobbs 80/20 for the batting. It is all trimmed and ready for me to make and attach the binding.