Sunday, January 19, 2020

A New Quilt


Just in the last day or so I have finally been able to work on my quilting. Once I got into my sewing room I just didn't know where to start so I did the most reasonable thing...I started a new quilt. ;)

I don't have a real plan for this one other than it is definitely going to be scrappy and I am leaning toward it being set on point. I have dug into my bins that contain 2.5" squares and have started sewing them together into nine patches. I am not too sure about it yet but maybe if I make a few more blocks....

I haven't had a lot of time to sew lately because my husband and I have been working on sorting and clearing stuff out of the basement and it has been a huge job. There have been lots of squabbles about what we should keep and what I think we should let go. Let's just say that I am in the camp of CLEAR IT OUT!!!

Just when we really needed my husband's van to earn its keep it has failed us miserably and really just isn't worth the cost of the repairs needed. So, I have made several trips to donation centers with my car filled to the brim with all sorts of goodies that I am sure someone would love to give a good home to. We also rented a truck and took a large load of junk to the dump - not me personally - but my husband, eldest son Adam and my DIL Anna.

Adam and Anna hauled it all up out of the basement and loaded the truck and all I can say is wow - Anna is slender but man she is a strong woman!

Unbelievably there is still a lot of work to do to organize what is left down there and decisions still need to be made but those decisions will happen after the basement reno has been finished. At least we now have some room to actually do the work and things are cleared up enough that I am able to sew!

Friday, January 3, 2020

String Flimsy and Molly

Pretty flimsy....beautiful dog!
Like many other quilters I made a point of spending some good quality end-of-year time in my sewing room. We quilters know where the best New Year's Eve party is!

The zig-zag string blocks that I had been working on over the past few months (I started them in September) were close to my machine and they were so close to becoming a flimsy. I decided they were perfect to work on and I finished joining them together into a flimsy.

I love this flimsy - it is very striking in person - and I can't wait to quilt it!

I didn't get a picture of the full flimsy because my sweet Molly decided she wanted to be a poster girl and she can do whatever she wants!

On the night of December 23 Molly had a seizure and we rushed her to the emergency vet clinic and it scared the heck out of me. She was already being treated for minor heart failure but her heart condition has progressed significantly and another medication was added to her routine. She is not suffering and she still has good quality of life but the vet's prognosis is not good.

Thursday, January 2, 2020

First Finish of 2020



It took me almost a month to finish hand stitching the binding onto this little donation quilt but I finally got it done yesterday.

Between Christmas preparations and celebrations with my wonderful little family, working on painting the kitchen (still not done by the way), hurting my back, having a wonderful long visit from my youngest son and just life in general there wasn't a lot of time for hand stitching.

Things are pretty much back to what we call normal around here since we put away all evidence of Christmas by the 27th and my youngest son Eric just went back home yesterday. Sadly we won't get to see him again until mid-March. :(

This little quilt finished at 53" x 65" and I quilted it very simply with freehand loops. I used blue thread and Hobbs 80/20 batting. I think it turned out pretty well especially when you consider that it was pieced with scraps of fabric that were leftovers from many quilts, the backing was fabric that was given to me by one of my sisters and in a previous life they were curtains, and the binding was made from fabric that had belonged to my late SIL Wanda. I love it all!!!!!