Saturday, August 13, 2016

All Caught Up....

April, May and June blocks
at least with my blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Column quilt. I am not too sure what is happening because nothing on either of my design walls looks cohesive at all. The good news is that I have cleared out lots of scrappy bits. Time will tell what will happen with all of these blocks.

While working on the blocks over the past few days, I have been inspired to do some more clean up in my sewing my quilty sister Cheryl is coming for a visit on Tuesday. Nothing like having a visitor to spur on some clean up action. :)

Normally when she comes to visit I always say I am so sorry for the mess and she always says it is not really messy at all - she is very kind and can really overlook a lot of transgressions. But, during the last visit she said that my sewing room was beyond out of control - it was so bad that she really couldn't say much else. Not a clear spot in the room :()

I work today and tomorrow and Monday is booked because someone is having a birthday. ;) My goal is to get at least one cutting table as well as my ironing table cleared of scraps with everything put away and not just dumped into another pile. I don't think I will get much more than that done but I will try.

I have way too many scrappy bits hanging around waiting to be trimmed, organized and put away in bins or, dare I say, made into quilts.  I really need and want to make quilts!

I am linking up over at soscrappy's for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Pop on over and have a look at all of the wonderful creations made with scraps. You just might get inspired to dig into your scraps too!

Friday, August 12, 2016

Customer Quilt

I recently finished quilting this beautiful quilt for Barb. This is Barb's first quilt and she did such a great job. It was very well pieced and square too! ;) I think the quilt design is a disappearing nine patch.

She wanted a very simple quilting design to complement the quilt and decided on a lightly quilted loopy meander. Barb supplied the white cotton batting and I used a light tan thread.

Sunday, August 7, 2016

RSC - Column Quilt Blocks

August blocks

July blocks

I have fallen woefully behind with making the blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Column quilt that was designed by Angela of soscrappy. As a matter of fact, ALL of the quilt blocks (and quilts) that I had started working on this year for the scrap challenge have all been sitting idle for many months. :(

I did have a good start with the Column quilt at the beginning of the year but I stopped after making the butterflies in March.

Yesterday, I spent a bit of time tidying in my sewing room and it must have kick started something because I have been in there a good part of the day today playing with my scraps.

So far today I have completed the blocks for July and August and I plan to go back into my sewing room and work on some more - I have already started digging through my scraps to make the April blocks.

When I put the August blocks on the design wall I realized that I probably should have made fewer of the green blocks and more of the purple blocks. I won't bother with it now, I will wait to see how everything is put together at the end.

crazy looking design wall :)
 Who knows...I just may get caught up with this project... :))

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Pinwheel Quilt

Another quilt is heading toward the finish line! I just took this beauty off of the frame and I am in love. It is not a complicated design but - wow - the quilting just makes it sing. I don't have a lot of room to take photos at this time so I am trying to make do. This is a fairly large quilt - around 76" x 86" if I recall correctly.

lots of sunshine streaming in the room
I quilted it using a pantograph called Deb's Swirls and honestly it doesn't look like much on the paper but it is a really wonderful quilting design once it gets on a quilt. :)

I specifically used a batting made from 80% cotton and 20% wool because I want to test to see how much it shrinks once it is washed and dried in the dryer. I will make sure I take very accurate measurements both before and after the process. I prewashed all of the fabrics used in this quilt including the backing. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out but in the meantime I need to trim this baby and make the binding and get it attached first.