My second attempt wasn't much better than my first and it is a bit bigger than it should be but I am keeping it...for now. I racked my brain trying to think of a way to make the little blocks that make up the whole. I thought if I made them in a strip and cut them on an angle that it should work. After I got it all together I realized that I had cut one strip of the brown fabric the wrong width and nothing would align to it. C'est la vie!
In older quilts you can sometimes see where the quilt maker had difficulty with piecing or appliqueing a block and they just did their best and moved on. Certainly a lesson for me to allow myself to do my best and not worry too much about perfection. I was so confident that I could make it much better on my second try but this block has certainly humbled me! :)