Yesterday was the last Saturday for blue scraps and I made 6 more string blocks. I had pulled out as many blue strings as I could from the bin and started to sew them onto the 8.5" foundation papers. It really was slim pickins'. I couldn't understand why I had so few blue strings in the bin. I made as many blocks as I could from the strings without repeating the fabrics within each block. As I finished up the last block my thoughts were on making a new blue quilt because I need a lot more blue string blocks for the quilt I will be making.
I was out of blue strings but I still wanted to work on something, so I decided to make some 3.5" red crumb blocks. I have some red strings that were the leftover remnants from fabric that my sister, Cheryl, cut for me with her Go Studio dies. I wanted crumb blocks so I just cut off small pieces and started sewing them together. Because the strings were quite straight, I didn't need to use any foundation papers for the blocks. If my plan for my latest quilt design works, then these little crumb squares will become the centers for Ohio Star blocks. I still need to make 18 more and I am hoping for more time today to play in my sewing room.
I knew that these red strings were in a bin all by themselves, so when I went to get them I had a pleasant surprise. Look what I found - I must have been separating the blue strings from the rest in preparation for the blue string blocks and forgot that I had done that - whew - I am glad I have more.
Hop on over to soscrappy's to check out what other participants made with their blue scraps this week.