Saturday, May 20, 2017

Sourdough


I enjoy baking and I often make my own bread and my family really enjoys my efforts most of the time. ;)

I have been wanting to make sourdough bread but I didn't have any starter and I wasn't feeling confident about making my own. I mentioned it to my son's girl friend at one time or other and for Mother's Day she gave me some lovely bubbly sourdough starter. She had started a batch for herself on April 3 and she generously shared it with me. :)

I am a little nervous about whether I can keep the starter going but so far so good. I received the starter on Thursday and I put it in the fridge because I had no recipes ready to make with it. When you use sourdough starter you do have to feed it on a daily basis but if you keep it in the fridge you don't have to feed it as often. It's not a problem other than you end up discarding some perfectly good starter during the feeding process. I didn't want to waste it so I found this recipe to use it up instead of throwing it away. Anyway, long story short is that these dinner rolls turned out great. I can't stop eating them.....

I don't think I am ready to make a sourdough bread without yeast yet so I will be making this bread tomorrow. As long as you keep feeding the starter it keeps giving so I just may be baking sourdough everything for the rest of my life! lol

4 comments:

belarmina said...

Ellen ese pan tiene buen aspecto
siento estar lejos para probar un poco......
gracias por las recetas
buen domingo

barbaradougherty126 said...

I have some lovely starter in my fridge too. My dad made the BEST sour dough bread and I want to keep it going. It turned out pretty good the first time. Problem is, we don't eat much bread, lol.

Deb A said...

Looks yummy. I might have to try that this summer with the kids and let them bake a bit.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

All I can say is Yum Yum Yum! Your rolls look great!

Love sis