Thursday, May 18, 2017

Crumb Quilt


For the past few weeks my design wall has been a wall of crumb blocks. Over the past year I have been wanting to spend more time working on crumb quilts and I have finally got myself in gear to move forward with it. These strips are 2.5" x 8.5" and I have been trying to decide how to use them. I have ideas to use them as sashing strips, joining them together to create complete blocks, stacking them into long columns with long strips between them. You get the idea...there are so many ways that they can be used but I was waiting for some real inspiration to strike.

Yesterday, I had two friends over for a sew day. Vangie, Rosalie and I were chatting and sewing and Rosalie passed around a book from Missouri Star Quilt Co. and she pointed out a coin quilt that she liked called Kissing Coins. Well, let me tell you I gobbled up her idea right away and started plotting to make a quilt using this layout but instead of single fabric coins I would substitute crumb blocks.











During our sewing time together I got at least 15 crumb strips made but I do seem to spend more time chatting than working. :) I added them to the stack that I already had waiting for trimming. It really doesn't take too long to trim and depaper these strips and I love how they look - so worth the effort!

I did a little test to see if I could use these strips that I already had made. I trimmed a few of them to 5" and it would work but I think that I will just start making a bunch of strips that are 2.5" x 5" specifically for this project. Honestly, I have enough crumbs waiting to be used. I have a huge bin full and it is always growing!

Thanks to Rosalie and Vangie for such a great sewing day! It is so much fun to spend time together sharing ideas and resources as well as working out design ideas and plans for our quilts and other adventures. I am looking forward to the next sew day!

4 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

I love crumb projects... can't wait to see how yours turns out!
And it's sooo fun to sew with friends!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love your crumbs and looking forward to seeing them in a quilt. Love all your crumb quilts thus far. I am glad you all had a nice visit and enjoyed your day.

Love sis

KaHolly said...

I. Love. Your. Crumb. Strips. ;)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Plenty of options for using those Crumb block sections. Best of luck with your choice!!