Friday, March 3, 2017

Border Options


Well, January and February have come and gone and I am still trying to figure out a border idea for this quilt. I don't know if I am quite there yet though. I was thinking of doing Christmas ball ornaments all around the edge but after making four blocks I realize that I just won't have enough background fabric to make enough to go around the quilt. Besides I don't think that is the right one anyway. Another option I have been thinking about is using small trees around the border or a combination of ornament blocks and tree blocks but I don't think that is the one either.

I made some piano key border pieces but again I am not too sure about those either. I think it needs a transition from the 'airier' looking quilt center to the very dark and heavy looking border. Next I tried using squares of focus fabric alternating with squares of background fabric then adding the piano keys as an outer border and that may end up being the one. I am going to have to make a decision soon or I am going to use up all my fabrics on testing instead of actually making the border!!!


2 comments:

Cathy said...

I like to piano keys with the ornaments in the corners. The piano keys pick up the stripes in the sweaters and carry them out to the borders.

Chantal L. said...

I agree with you that the piano keys is on the heavy and dark side. Since these are winter sweaters, how about some snowflakes kind of blocks? Or a diagonal red and white as in candy cane? Just thinking out loud. I'm sure you'll find something you are happy with. Good luck. ;^)