Thursday, December 29, 2016

Quiet Reflection

I had a wonderful Christmas with family and friends and I hope that you did too. I am looking forward to 2017 and I have great hope that it will be a year of good health, happiness, time spent with loved ones, and a dash of good old prosperity would be nice too!

I have been spending time in my sewing room over the past couple days but I haven't stitched one stitch. I have been doing this....

and while I was toiling away I was thinking and plotting and planning.

My sewing room can be overwhelming to me because of all of the stuff that I have stuffed in there. It really would be much better if I put things away after using them. Organization is key and man I have lost the key!!! It would also help if I kept up with ironing my fabric after washing it. What would be even better is if I stopped buying fabric and then I wouldn't have to wash and iron it. ;)

I have emptied two baskets and ironed and folded most of it. Some of the fabric pieces that are more scraps in nature have been set aside for me to cut down into usable strips and pieces. I have also set aside the fabric that I need for current projects and I will cut those to the necessary sizes as well and put them into project boxes.

Look at those stacks of fabric - ironed, folded and ready to be put away - it's a beautiful thing but even better I can see the sewing machine in the background. It has been covered in 'stuff' for months but not anymore.

I really need to clear some working space so that I can achieve my January goal. There....I said it....I have a goal for January that I am hoping I will achieve. I really want to finish my Ugly Christmas Sweater quilt. I had hoped to finish it in time for Christmas but then I had to devote a lot of time trying to fix my long arm instead. I also want to finish my Westering Women quilt as well as Blue Cheese. I don't have to have them all quilted and bound but I do hope to have all three turned into quilt tops and then have all of the scraps and leftover bits dealt with right away instead of having them hanging around on all surfaces of my room!! The bigger the mess I have in my sewing room the less creative I feel.....

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

That's a girl. Get all the clean up done so you can feel fresh to start the New Year off right.

Love sis

The Joyful Quilter said...

I feel your pain. It's hard to sew when you can't find the machine!! I went on an excavation mission of my own the other day. Managed to dig out the long arm, but still need to unearth the ironing station (currently covered in scraps.) Best of luck to you!!

Cathy said...

My sewing room is always a mess but my machine never gets buried. When it gets close to burial I just throw everything into a box or bag and get on with it. I also don't wash my fabric when I purchase it so no ironing needed!

Happy New Year to you! And good luck on your goals! You make some of the most beautiful quilts.

Scrap and quilts said...

It's a task no one likes I think, but after the sewing room, it is so rewarding, wouldn't you say? I feel like I can sew a storm or two when everything is tidy around me, lol. Hope you feel that way too because you did put a lot on your plate for January. Good luck! And Happy New Year! ;^)

Julie in GA said...

Your post really hit home with me. I need to do a major clean-up like yours. My productivity has been disappointing lately, and it is largely because of the out-of-control mess! Congrats on getting so much cleared away. Happy new year and good luck with your January goals!