Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Winding Ways is Finished

I love how this quilt turned out - it was a lot of work but so worth it. :)  I would say that the winding ways quilt pattern with all of its curves is not for the feint of heart!

I was having some trouble trying to come up with a name for this quilt and all along I have been referring to it as the Winding Ways quilt so I guess the name has stuck. ;)

before fix
While I was quilting it I had a needle break and it caused a flaw. I was very disappointed but there was nothing I could do about it. I had thought about patching it by appliqueing a small piece of the same fabric to cover the flaw but I thought it would draw more attention to it.  At this point it is just a bit of shredded fabric that caused a few tiny holes but I do want to stop it from getting worse. It could potentially turn into a hole in the quilt top over time and I hope to prevent that. So, I decided to put a few drops of Fray Check on it, front and back, and pressed it with an iron and I will just leave it as is.

after using Fray Check
I have extra bits and pieces of fabric left over from creating this quilt so I took a 4.5" piece of the same fabric that was flawed as well as the backing fabric and I tucked them in behind the label before I stitched it down to the quilt. If the flaw ever becomes an issue, even in the distant future, there will be a piece of fabric to fix it. This quilt is for my niece Kim and I will let her know that if she needs it the fabric is available. I think it is a very good solution. :)

This quilt finished at 69" x 77" and was quilted with a light pink thread. I quilted it using a Dragonfly panto and when you look at the back you can really see the dragonfly motif. Love it!!!

back of quilt

7 comments:

belarmina said...

Ellen felicidades a tu sobrina!!
este edredón me encanta,desde sus comienzos,
buena idea guardar un trozo de tela,
saludos

Frances Meredith said...

This pattern is getting quite high on my to do list. I have the fabric, i just need the time.

Scrap and quilts said...

Congratulations on this wonderful finish. To put some of the fabrics under the label is a fantastic idea. The quilt is just gorgeous but not one I would make as I am not very good with curves. So, I'll just drool over your wonderful quilt. ;^)

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Your quilts is gorgeous! The little dragon flies are beautiful. Great ideal in adding the fabric fix for a just in case. At the rate I am going with my Winding Ways it could take a life time. It is a very difficult pattern to sew.

Love sis

Marjorie McDonald said...

I had the opportunity to see this Winding Ways quilt by Ellen yesterday in person, in real life, and it is the most beautiful, splendid panoply of pinks, creams and chocolate brown reminding me of a chocolate sunday. So many different fabrics to give it such variation and all in harmony. Yes, Ellen I love this one.

Ariane said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! Congrats on a wonderful finish!!

KaHolly said...

I'm in awe!