Sunday, May 29, 2016

Log Cabin Blocks


First Block
The son of one of my Guild's members was a resident of Fort McMurray and he was a victim of the recent terrible forest fires. He lost everything including several quilts made by his Mom, Rose. We are making log cabin blocks for Rose to make him another quilt and she will put them together over the summer months. I didn't see any guidance other than they are to finish at 8" and they are to have a cream 2" finished center block to be used as a signature block. So I jumped in and made a block. I decided to make my block using the colour green for renewal. I think it turned out well but then I reread the email.....
Second Block
Oops...she wanted them to be made with random sized logs. So I made another. :) I will donate both blocks because she still may be able to incorporate it in the quilt...or on the back.

I was able to make both blocks using fabrics from my parts bins, strip bins and string bins. I have many quilts waiting to be made from my scrappy stash....

4 comments:

KaHolly said...

You are so sweet to help her make him a new quilt!

belarmina said...

Ellen tus bloques son toda una muestra de afecto y cariƱo,
los colores son muy acertados, me encanta el verde
buena semana

Scrap and quilts said...

So happy to hear his Mom is still here to make him more quilts. Your blocks are very nice and I'm sure she will use both. This is a time to make do with what one has. ;^)

Deb A said...

What a great idea to help her make him some new quilts. Love both of your blocks...... I seem to see a lot of log cabins in blog land this week. It is making me really want to make another one....... must finish something first then maybe I can! Glad you are getting some sewing time in.