Friday, March 25, 2016

A Quilting Party


back
My quilty sister Cheryl came to visit me for a couple days and we got some quilting done. :)

She arrived at my place on Tuesday morning and after a bit of a catch up we got ourselves into the sewing room and started loading my gray and yellow quilt.

I honestly don't know why but there was some trouble getting the stitching to look correct.


I am not sure if it was because I was using a darker thread on white and light coloured fabrics but in the end we worked it out and got the quilting done. I think it looks terrific!

Photo showing the texture of the quilting.
I just love the texture that the quilting gave to this quilt - so pretty. I will take more photos showing the finished quilt once I get the binding done.

This photo shows the true colours of the quilt.

Next up we loaded Cheryl's quilt and things were going great until something happened with the bobbin and we didn't notice until we had to make another bobbin change. Grrr.....we had to rip out just about a whole row of stitching. It was probably a total of about 70" in length and 11" in width. We were exhausted by the whole thing. It really is difficult to rip stitches when the quilt is loaded on a frame! So, after that adventure we called it a day and left it to finish on Thursday.


All is well that ends well though because her quilt is stunning. It was so gorgeous even before the quilting was done but you know that the magic really happens in the quilting. :0))

street view
Cheryl left my place yesterday and I usually will drive her to the bus depot but the weather was just atrocious and I did not want to drive during the ice storm. She did take a taxi to the depot and I did feel a bit bad about not driving her but it was awful outside.

I really thought that she should have stayed until today but it probably would not have made any difference. I took these photos this morning. Everything is coated in ice including the roads - very treacherous. I think it is a good thing that today is a holiday and most people are staying in, safe and sound, and not going to work or school.
back yard view



8 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful week, in spite of the unstitching challenges!
It's dangerous outside here too!

belarmina said...

Ellen bonitos edredones!!
con tu hermana hicisteis un gran trabajo,
un tiempo loco, igual que en España,
marzo esta muy revuelto,
buen fin de semana

Deb A said...

I'm sure you sister was happy you were home safe and sound. Hope she arrived home safely as well. Looks like a perfect sewing day for you with that weather! Happy Easter.

audrey said...

It sounds like you had good times regardless of the challenging weather at the end. Would love to have a sister that shared my love of quilting!

Scrap and quilts said...

Challenges are easier to deal with when a sister is near, don't you find? Love the quilting design. It sure does bring up the quilt to a higher note. Congrats. ;^)

scraphappy said...

The ice and snow makes everything look so beautiful. Sounds like it is best to enjoy the view from safely inside though. Glad you got some quilting done despite a few challenges. Both quilts look fabulous!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Both of your quilts turned out beautiful!
How fun to share and work together on the quilting of these!
I hope that warm Spring weather arrives for you soon.

Algodão Tão Doce said...

Amei conhecer o seu blog, já fiquei por aqui!!!Achei maravilhoso!!!
Visite-me:http://algodaotaodoce.blogspot.com.br/
Siga-me e pegue o meu selinho!!!

Obrigada.

Beijos Marie.