Thursday, February 4, 2016

Ugly Christmas Sweater QAL-Block 1

I am participating in Sew Fresh Quilts Ugly Christmas Sweater QAL. I think it will be fun to play along and I will have a cute ugly Christmas sweater quilt in the end. I don't have a Christmas quilt that I have made myself so I think it is about time to remedy that. I am lucky enough to have a couple Christmas quilts that my late SIL made and we normally put them out for display each year and it would be nice to display one of my own as well.

I had my Guild meeting yesterday and when I got home I made dinner, etc., and then I started working on the block a bit later in the evening. Once I got going it really didn't take too long - I think the most time is spent deciding which fabric to use and getting it ready for cutting. This block wasn't too difficult to put together if you actually read the instructions and pay attention to the strip sizes. ;)

For my background I had planned on using a white fabric that had red snowflakes scattered on it but at the last minute I changed it to this green on white print. It is more of an all-over print and I think I like it better.

I swear I must live under a rock because until recently I had never heard of Sew Fresh Quilts and when I did visit Lorna's blog I saw so many cute quilts. She has held quilt-alongs in the past and the instructions are still available....I particularly love the Elephant Parade....adorable. It is definitely on my list to make!!

Anyway, I see that she has released the second block this morning so any guesses as to what I am working on today?

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

This looks like fun. I'll enjoy watching your sweater collection grow.

Deb A said...

I'll enjoy watching the sweater quilt.. but as soon as you start the Elephant Parade let me know and I'll join in with you =) My son Aidan loves elephants - and has had Ellie the Elephant stuffed animal since we visited the Cincy Zoo at age 2. He got Trunk the Elephant for Christmas this year. I think he needs a quilt of them at some point.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I think your first ugly Christmas Sweater is adorable! Looking forward to seeing more of these little creations!

Love sis

Lee Ann L. said...

That is awesome! Thanks for the inspiration. I've been thinking about joining this QAL and may just jump in the future and make a bunch of blocks.