Saturday, February 20, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Blocks

I have been very busy playing with my brown scraps this week. Who knew that I had so many brown scraps - well - actually I did. In the past I have made a lot of 'boy' quilts and used brown very frequently. I haven't been doing that so much lately and that means I haven't been replenishing my stash of brown scraps on a regular basis and I found that I didn't have the best selection in my 2" strips and 2" squares. I did manage to get 10 of the nine patch in a square blocks completed without using any repeats within individual blocks.

I wasn't too sure how these blocks would look surrounded with the black/white prints but I am pleasantly surprised - they remind me of Liquorice All Sorts candy. :)

I also worked on making the rest of the pinwheel/hst blocks that I had planned for last week. I wanted a total of 12 blocks but had only managed to make four. That left 8 blocks still to make and I worked on these in stages over the past week. I had already gathered the scrappy bits I wanted to use and over a couple days I cut the pieces for the blocks. Thursday evening I started sewing them together and I challenged myself to see how long it would take for me to get all of the hsts sewn and pressed. I sometimes have a bit of trouble staying on task - there are just so many distractions. ;)

It took me about 1.5 hours but it was a fun little challenge for me. The only real problem I encountered was that I was a little over exuberant in my fabric selection and cutting and without paying attention I prepared enough for 10 blocks instead of the 8 I needed. I'll keep the extra parts together with the blocks because at this point I don't really know how many I will need. Even though I worked on Friday, I had hoped to finish up these blocks but I didn't get too much done before I ran out of steam. When I woke up this morning I stitched them up right away.

Eight more blocks finished
I see that I really should have used some pins when I sewed the blocks together. The centers are a little bit off - I hope the quilt police don't come knocking...they will certainly find many more infractions if they do a search! ;)

This block doesn't look difficult to make and it really isn't but I seem to get a bit bogged down with them. The biggest time consumer is finding the same scrappy strips in 2" and 3,5" so I took the suggestion from last week's comments to just cut whatever I needed from my larger scrappy pieces. I have plenty of chunks of fabric that are smaller than a fat quarter in my stash and using them would make things a lot easier and quicker too!

All of the brown blocks together. Tricky little devils....
I see that the block in upper right is oriented incorrectly!
Pop on over to soscrappy's and check out the links to see how other participants in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge used their scraps this week.

19 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Lovely! I, too, was surprised last year at how well the rich browns work with black and white. Love how scrappy your blocks are.

Ivani said...

I was thinking that my browns will give me only a block, and now 3rd Saturday of February I am very surprised with what I have got. Your blocks do look great! Happy weekend.

Nell's Quilts said...

I remember reading that when in doubt, use black and white. It can calm or add a little spice. Your blocks look great.

Alison said...

Very cute! :)

PaulaB quilts said...

The black and white fabric is a nice surprise mix with the brown, a success. You certainly are getting a lot done. Keep up the good work!

Cathy said...

Oh, yes! Those browns do look great with the black and white.

And those Chantal Pinwheels in brown are a treat too. I also have problems staying on task and can't sew very long on any one block.

Peggyinno said...

I love the 9 patches!! You made a simple block look amazing with the black/ white!! Love, love, love those pinwheels!

Chantal L. said...

Beautiful 9 patch blocks. Love your fabric choice. The pinwheels are easier to cut from bigger pieces. That's what I used last year. Most were made with FQs or linear quarters. ;^)

gayle said...

I love making those pinwheels - they look gorgeous with every color!
And I love those 9patches. The black and white prints really set them off!

Heidi said...

I love Allsorts - looks delicious! I like your pinwheel layout too!

Kate said...

Very pretty blocks! Your 9 patches with the white and black are very eye catching, so are your pinwheel blocks.

Jennie in GA said...

The black and white looks great with your Browns. And I adore the pinwheels.

Mystic Quilter said...

You certainly have a good collection of browns at your house! I love the blocks up on wall with the black and white fabric, looks really good.

Aunt 'Reen said...

You have such pretty browns in your stash!
Love these newest blocks.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your browns are gorgeous! I've seen some bloggers complaining they don't like brown, but I think it is so warm and rich! I jumped down and looked at your ugly Christmas sweaters, and they are so cute!

Kaja said...

Lovely. Your deep browns look fantastic with the black and white - I'd never have thought to do this but it definitely works.

Jeanne said...

Love all of your brown blocks! I'm working on a pinwheel setting like yours using multi colors. I love the secondary pattern!

Marsha Cooper said...

Seeing what others have been doing with browns has left me wishing I had more....and wanting to make a full brown quilt.

Raewyn said...

You're doing a great job of using those browns... I love that pinwheel setting too; may have to put that one on my wishlist!