Saturday, February 13, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Blocks

I love this block design! I love how the four blocks come to together and make that wonderful secondary pattern. I got these blocks made last night and then I ran out of time and had to get ready for bed. I had planned on getting 12 blocks made and I gathered up enough scrap fabric to make them but I always underestimate the time it takes to go through my strip bins. Going through my 2" and my 3.5" strip bins to find the same brown fabrics really is work! It might be easier if I just went really scrappy and used different focus fabrics throughout each block. I will have to think about that....

It was so cold when I got up this morning to let the dogs out. The thermostat was at -25C which is the equivalent of -13F. We have a wind chill of -40C which just happens to be -40F as well or just call it what it is...brutally cold! I layered a sweater and a coat onto each dog before I let them out. They didn't really like it when it was happening but I think once they got outside they didn't mind those extra layers too much. ;)

I am off to work this morning and boy oh boy I am so happy that I park my car in the garage and not in the driveway. The problem will be when I leave work because my car will be in the open all day. I wonder if I can convince my husband to drive me to and from work - you know door-to-door service would be fabulous today.

With the cold weather I think it is a perfect day to stay inside to play with scraps - I wish everyone a happy scrappy and warm and toasty Saturday. Pop on over to soscrappy's to check out the links to other quilters that have been using up their scraps.

21 comments:

Cheryl said...

Good Morning Ellen

Your blocks look great! Nice brown fabric that you found in your bins! It is freezing and I have plans to not go out today! The sun is shining so brightly, oh how deceptive.

Love sis

Jennifer said...

you're right! it's FREEZING cold here, too! good day to stay in and sew!

Quilter Kathy said...

Yep... it's a cold one today!
I love these blocks, and think some total scrappy or partial scrappy ones thrown in would be fun!

Quiltdivajulie said...

You are so right that working scrappy can and often does take longer than using yardage -- but the results are SO much more fun! Stay warm and safe.

Kat Scribner said...

Yes, a lovely block that is! I can only imagine the gorgeous quilt it will make.

katie z. said...

Your blocks are lovely! I think I need to start saving 3.5" strips too. I can only combine my 1.5" and 2.5" strips, and it takes FOREVER with tiny blocks to make anything!

Peggyinno said...

Love your pinwheels! I like them with just one brown fabric in each block. Of course, if Bonnie Hunter would be making these, each brown would be a different fabric! Lol!

Chantal L. said...

I so understand you. The amount of time it takes to find the same fabric in different sizes is frustrating sometimes. If you find a solution, please let us know. Thanks. Your blocks are lovely though. It was worth the effort. Private chauffeur would be nice today indeed. Hope you find one. ;^)

Anne said...

Yup, it's cold, but just remember that this is what we brag about to the rest of the world! We're tough and don't let a little wind chill stand in our way :)
Love your brown blocks. I like the single colour per block, rather than going scrappy within each one. Once the blocks are all sewn together, the top will be scrappy enough already. I think that is one of the strengths of this pattern.
Your organization system for your scraps is similar to what I use. I love the fact that I can go digging in there at any time, based on the width of strip I need. But trying to find the same fabric in two different bins can be annoying, like you said. Do you also keep a 4.5" or 5" bin? If you cut 2 squares of that and pair them with your background fabric, you will have enough of the same fabric to complete your block.

Ivani said...

It is really a beautiful block. Love your brown fabrics.
OMG I can't imagine how is to live under that brutally cold. Stay warm and safe and good return to home from work.
Hugs

PaulaB quilts said...

I like the blocks the way you have them because the pattern stands out so clearly, and yet you still have subtle variation. Good going. I hope kind hubby got you to work.

Nell's Quilts said...

Oh baby, it's cold outside! I think that's how the song went. Yup, we're tough Canadians and can handle any weather Mother Nature throws at us. The brown blocks are wonderful and remind me of nice hot chocolate after braving the outdoors.

Jeanne said...

Your blocks are wonderful! It's freeeeezing here, too.

Deb A said...

So pretty with 4 of them together. Hope you got a chauffeur ride to and from work. That is downright chilly and stay home weather.

Dasha said...

My goodness that's cold! Your poor little pups.
That is such a sweet block. Love it. Looks fabulous in brown.

Frances said...

Love your little block. The Scrap challenge looks like a good way to get it together.

Pamela Arbour said...

Your brown blocks look scrumptious!

scraphappy said...

Finding just the right combination of pre cut strips can be a bit of a struggle, but it seems to have worked out. Beautiful blocks this week.

Cathy said...

When I use scraps that require different sizes I go to the chunk crate and not my boxes with different sized scraps. Despite your labors your blocks are wonderful.

I'd love a chauffeur too but since it's a 20 min drive to work it would take my husband chauffeur 4 -20 min trips plus gas instead of my 2 trips. BUT it sure would be nice to do some hand stitching for 40 min every day instead of spending it driving.

Jennie in GA said...

Lovely pinwheels! Can' even imagine that kind of cold.

Sheila said...

Love your blocks. Beautiful rich brown prints.