Thursday, January 28, 2016

Westering Women - Independence Square


I am joining in with Barbara Brackman's latest quilt along and I am planning on sticking with this one. ;) Unfortunately, I don't have the best track record but I will try to do better this time.

The first 12" block that was posted is Independence Square and it really wasn't too difficult to make except I made it as a 9" block. I don't why I did that but I did. Regardless, I am quite happy with the way it turned out so I don't want to remake it. Who knows, maybe I can make all of the blocks 9" instead of 12".  I do have the option of putting a frame around this one to make it larger if need be.

When I was digging through my stash to choose my fabrics, I found this fabric and I decided to use it as my light background. I don't know if it is period correct but I think these ladies are a perfect choice. I have about .75 of a meter and I am hoping that will be enough.

Barbara will be releasing one block on the last Wednesday of each month throughout this year and along with it she will be providing lots of interesting background information about the life and times of these women.

6 comments:

The Civil War Quilter said...

Your block looks great! I like your choice of fabric for the background and think it's quite appropriate. Hope you have enough of it. :)

Chantal L. said...

Great job on the block. Love the ladies fabric. Haven't done mine yet as I am still considering colours. Love your colour combo. ;^)

Jeanne said...

Nice work on your block! I'm rooting for you. The background is a Jo Morton fabric that I love! Great choice.

Deb A said...

Looks like a great background choice. I have yet to put the woman's suffrage one together..... so will opt out until I get a few UFO's under control. I'll enjoy watching you make the blocks this year.

Quilter Kathy said...

Looks great! I made a scrappy one and did not enjoy the odd cutting measurements... a 9 " block is so much more sensible with these pieces!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Your first block looks so beautiful!
I love your wonderful choice of fabrics too.