Saturday, January 16, 2016

Twinkle Stars


As part of this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I am participating in the column quilt designed by Angela. If these first blocks are any indication I think the quilt is going to be gorgeous. Aren't these blocks just beautiful? Wouldn't they make a beautiful quilt just as they are? I really could see a whole quilt made from them.

The colour chosen for January is blue with accents of purple and that is what I used. I pulled blue strips as well as any blue strips that had touches of purple from my 3.5"scraps bins. I did the same for the 2" and 2.5" strips and I also raided my stash of precut squares as well. I chose to use the same background fabric for each block.

I spent time over several days working on these blocks. They were a bit of a challenge because my seam allowance was off and I got a little bogged down with trimming, etc., but I think the effort was worth it.

Angela has provided instructions to make these blocks here.

In making the blocks, I chose the option of double sewing my flip and sew corners and I ended up with bonus 2" half square triangles as my reward. Don't you just love it - scraps making scraps. ;)

Pop on over to check out the linky party at soscrappy's Rainbow Scrap Challenge - I bet you'll be glad you did!

24 comments:

Deb A said...

Beautiful job. I really need to make my twinkle stars today.

Karen said...

Your twinkler stars are amazing. I do love them but I am resisting joining in the fun. I am really trying to finish the projects I have started.

Kate said...

Your Twinkler Star blocks turned out beautifully. Twinkler blocks are one of my favorites, it was my RSC block last year.

Alison said...

Your stars look awesome!

Grandma said...

Your stars are beautiful.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

They have turned out just beautifully.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Scraps making scraps -- ah, yes -- it happens here all the time! Your twinklers are gorgeous!

Mari said...

Pretty! And your scraps made usuable pieces, which is even better than more scraps!

Cathy said...

Your twinkler star blocks are stunning! Really. I agree with you about this block making a great quilt on its own. We'll have to revisit that idea for sure! Like you, I have a lot of HST "babies" left over from other blocks. They are also begging to be included somewhere....

gayle said...

Beautiful twinklers! (And gotta love a block that generates bonuses!)

belarmina said...

Ellen tus estrellas son fabulosas!!!
tus cuadrados? me encanta
saludos

PaulaB quilts said...

Great progress on the stars, they look so sparkly. And bonus HSTs, what better!

Quiltbenaco said...

I miei colori preferiti...รจ stupenda!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your twinkler star blocks are beautiful! The blue and white would be pretty all on its own, but I think the whole rainbow of them will really be something! I will have watch out for places where I could be making some bonus HSTs like yours, too.

Angie said...

Gorgeous blue Twinkle Stars! They really would make a great quilt all on their own.

scraphappy said...

Your blue twinklers are just beautiful! Have fun with those bonus triangles. Just one of the reasons that scraps never end.

Chantal L. said...

Great job Ellen. It would make a lovely quilt all by itself. I just love it. Aren't bonus HSTs great? ;^)

Angie in SoCal said...

Can't get enough of these, Ellen. They're so beautiful!

Mystic Quilter said...

It seems as if the Twinkler Stars are very popular, participants in the sampler by Angela for this year all seem to be off to a great start! You have beautiful blues!

Jennie in GA said...

Your blocks are gorgeous. Great color selections.

Beausoleil Quilts said...

Your stars are so pretty. As you say, a whole quilt using them would be beautiful.

thecraftyyak said...

Just stunning - what more can I say

Raewyn said...

I love your Twinkler stars - great fabrics. Yes, I love those scraps making scraps too!

Sheila said...

Your stars are beautiful! This is going to be a fun sew along.