Sunday, January 17, 2016

Quilting My Latest Seven Sisters

When you are quilting an all-over design, like Baptist Fans, it's just not very exciting to show arc after arc. ;)  I mean, it is exciting to me because the hoop is moving and with that I am getting a little bit closer to having a beautiful quilt to enjoy or in this case to give to one of my sisters. On top of that, it is really hard to get a photo showing the stitches. Once I get to the light background areas I will be able to show that there are actual stitches in the quilt! ;)

I am quilting two rows at a time and I have now reached the mid point of my first pass across the quilt. If I can keep up with this pace, I should be able to make one quilting pass each week which would equal two rows per week. The quilt is 75" x 85" and each row of fans are approx. 5" so.....I should be finished in 8 weeks or so. But I don't live in a perfect world so I am hoping to have it done in 3 months. We will see if I can achieve that little goal!

This is the first time I am using Tuscany Cotton/Wool blend for the batting and it is lovely. Even though the quilt is large it is not heavy and that makes it a lot easier to move around and to quilt. So much easier on my shoulders! This batting can be quilted up to 4" apart and that is not a problem when doing an all-over quilting design.

I got up early this morning to do a bit of quilting before I go to work and now I have to put it away. When I come home this evening I plan to do a bit more. A perfect way to start and end my day!

I am linking up with Kathy's Quilts - Slow Sunday Stitching.

7 comments:

Deb A said...

So happy to see your seven sisters quilts again. Is this the 4th one? I can't wait to see what the next color scheme will be...

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I was wondering about the cotton wool batting! I love using wool for that reason. Great choice to use Baptist fans. Sometimes they are called Amish waves. Have fun stitching!

belarmina said...

Ellen esto me suena muy bien!!
yo voy despacio en el acolchado,
mi bola de nieve es mas pequeña que tu 7 hermanas,
así que terminare un poco antes que tu,
deseo ver el nuevo edredón que empieces 7 hermanas,
buena semana

Grit said...

Yours sister will be very happy to become this quilt.
Happy quilting.

Angie said...

I'm with you - it's difficult to show quilting progress in a photograph, but it's exciting as the quilter because you know all those stitches are adding up!

Chantal L. said...

Two rows a week? You are a very fast quilter. I don't think I would be able to follow you. You gave me the idea for quilting my Country Road; Baptist Fan. Haven't done that one in a very long time. Enjoy the slow stitching. ;^)

Jo said...

Such a nice feeling to be well on the way...