Saturday, January 30, 2016

Pinwheels with HSTs


I don't know the name of this block but as soon as I saw it on Chantal's blog I knew I needed to make them for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge as well. They are so pretty and don't they all look so great together - Chantal's quilt is just gorgeous!!

I don't know what size blocks Chantal used but I decided to go with 6" blocks. Even with that decision made I proceeded to make another block size mistake. What is going on with me??? Good thing I had only cut the first six blocks as a test because I needed that test!

I am using the same background fabric throughout the quilt along with the scrappy colour selections each month. I started cutting strips at 3.5" and 2.5" from my background fabric and pulled blue strips from my scrap bins and I used my Easy Angle ruler to cut the hsts. Do you see the problem yet? Once I sewed the pinwheels together and the larger hst blocks together they just didn't fit. I had to trim my pinwheels to 3.5" so I would have my 6" block. Good thing I hadn't cut too many 2.5" strips from the white background fabric. Everything is fixed now and I guess it could have been worse if I had cut the strips too small. :)

Last night was another non-sleeping night so I made another 6 blocks to go with the first ones. I love them!

Pop on over to soscrappy's and check out the links to all of the fantastic projects being made with simple scraps.


17 comments:

katie z. said...

The math befuddles me sometimes as well!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

they look beautiful!

scraphappy said...

Sometimes making all of the sizes come out right is trickier than it should be. Bigger is always better than smaller though.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a nice selection of BLUE scraps represented in those blocks! Blacks that were on my list for this year... before I decided to continue with my RSC15 blocks and work on UFOs. There's always next year!

Nell's Quilts said...

Even figuring things out on paper sometimes doesn't work out quite right. The trial blocks can always be included on the back so nothing goes to waste. Lovely spinning windmills. I flipped over to see Chantal's and yours will be gorgeous as a Rainbow Scrap Quilt.

Mari said...

Pretty blues! At least you were able to cut them down properly. Nice blocks!

PeggyinNO said...

Aren't these pinwheels fun! I'm making them also (8.5" finished). Can't wait to start added other colors to the mix! Love your blue mixture!!

Scrapatches said...

Love your blocks. Thanks, also, for the link to Chantal's quilt. You have inspired me to join in the scrap challenge fun today ... :) Pat

Deb A said...

Your blocks are beautiful! I too was up and in the sewing room for a couple of hours in the wee morning (12-2AM). I pulled fabrics and sewed my house blocks. I can tell the lack of sleep today as everything the kids do is bothering me. Early night for me I think. Hope you are able to sleep well tonight =)

Chantal L. said...

I love your blocks too. You are making very good progress on this one. Such lovely fabric you have. My blocks were 7 so finishing at 6.5 lol. I know it's an odd number but, like you, I had fun with the math and ended up with a 7 inch block. Oh well, from far, no one can tell it's a funny size block. ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are great blocks, and such a pretty collection of blues! I'm glad you made it through the mistakes and no one else will ever know! I, too, have been making some silly mistakes with the most basic sewing, and boy is that frustrating when you think you should know what you are doing by now!

Kathy S. said...

Those are super cute!

Aunt 'Reen said...

These blocks are beautiful!
This is such a striking pattern.

gayle said...

I'm doing these blocks, too, for RSC - also inspired by Chantal's blocks. (Who could resist her gorgeous quilt?!?) You've got such pretty blues in yours!
Mine are also 6", and I always have to remind myself to reach for the 2" strips and not the 2.5" strips.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Such beautiful blocks x

PaulaB quilts said...

Your story sounds very familiar this week. But you've turned out some lovely blocks. Keep up the good work!

Kate said...

Beautiful blocks! That's going to be a fun RSC quilt.