Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Outreach Sewing

I was supposed to go to my Guild's Outreach Social Sew today but I stayed home instead. I have a sinus headache and sore throat and chills and I thought that being in a large room with lots of people and machines running would just be too noisy. I decided to work on my project at home instead and even though I missed out on the camaraderie I am glad I stayed home. Firstly, I won't be spreading any germs and secondly, I think I got way more sewing done than if I had attended the social sew. I very often spend more time with the social part than the sewing. ;)

Recently, I showed the first four blocks of this scrappy rectangle quilt. I had started it with the intention of using it for quilting practice and to give as a charity quilt.

There was no cutting required in the making of these block pieces, I just dumped out a bunch of 2" x 3.5" rectangles from my scrap bin and dug in.  I chain pieced one rectangle after another to make the subunits.

These block parts are ready to be joined into 6" finished blocks. If I counted correctly, I have the makings of 48 blocks plus the four that I had already made. I still need to make just a few more to allow for a 7 x 8 layout.

My sewing room is currently in a disaster state so I laid an old sheet on my dining room table and set everything up so I have room to work. I was much more productive than if I had tried to squeeze into my sewing room. I dug out my Bernina 910 and brought it downstairs to sew with because it really did need a good workout. I haven't sewn with this machine for a very long time because it is missing the sewing table that it came with originally. It is a free arm machine so the sewing surface is very narrow but I am making do just fine. Eventually, my husband will make me an extension table to fit but that is way down on the list of his priorities!

3 comments:

Chantal L. said...

Get well soon Ellen. Take care of yourself and plenty of rest.

Deb A said...

Oh no! I hope you have a speedy recovery. I had something like a flu bug for a week over christmas. I am just starting to feel better. Your blocks are lovely - I need to remember simple is charming most of the time =).

Cathy said...

I recently had to unbury my sewing machine. It's still pretty much a disaster in my sewing room, though.