Saturday, January 23, 2016

Nine Patch in a Square


two test blocks
Angela from soscrappy shared this block on her blog and as soon as I saw it I knew that I also wanted to make it for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. She provided a tutorial here.

Following the colour of the month, which is blue with optional accents of purple, I used a variety of 2" blue squares that I pulled from my precut bins. I also pulled 2" strips of blue from my strip bins and cut some of them into squares to add more variety.

The blocks that Angela shared were framed with black and white prints and I thought they looked fantastic. I dug through my stash and found a black/white and a white/black fabric that I liked together. I have less of the dot fabric but I think I will have enough for more than 50 blocks so I figure by the end of the year I should have at least 100 blocks for a fun quilt.

I made 15 blue nine patches and I have plenty more scrappy bits to make more if I need to. I didn't frame them all with the black and white prints because, at this point, I just don't know how many I will need.


Wow...doesn't that frame of black and white prints dress up those blocks!!!

After taking the photos and looking at the dot fabric closely I am wondering if it is navy blue and not black. Whatever it is I am going with it and maybe some day, many years from now, someone will be looking at my quilt and they will be saying.....oh....poor thing....she thought the blue was black. :)

Pop on over to soscrappy's and check out the links for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. You will find so many creative ways to use up those scraps!

24 comments:

scraphappy said...

Blue or black, your dots are beautiful! Love the two prints together tying in all those beautiful blues. So much fun!

Julierose said...

I love how your framed 9-patches look all together--I especially like that black with white fabric--lot of soft movement...hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

Hmmmm, reminds me of a really old UFO I have. Better go find it.

I love the alternating b/w frame. You are right...those nine patches do look dressed up.

Jennifer said...

looks great! the b/w really make them pop!

katie z. said...

Your blocks look fabulous!

gayle said...

I love your framed nine patches! Your quilt is going to be gorgeous, no matter what color those dots are. 8)

Angie said...

Your blocks look fantastic - what fun you'll have with this project!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love all the blues in your scrappy nine patches, but the black and white frames just make them look amazing! So pretty!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

You are just too funny!!! lol

I love these blocks and the polka dots look fantastic! Love the black with white too, I currently have my behind sitting on the quilt that you made me with that exact fabric. I think these blocks are going to make one of those fun quilt beauties.

Love sis

belarmina said...

Ellen son muy bonitos
azul o negro? igualmente bonitos
buen fin de semana

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE this post -- and I think your dressed up nine patches are splendid!

PeggyinNO said...

LOL!! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to hear what is said about our quilts a hundred years from now!!!
Your blocks are off to a great start!! I love the "pop" the black/white gives them!

Manuela said...

Beautiful blocks.
Have a nice weekend, Manuela

PaulaB quilts said...

The fabric choices are a standout with the patches. It will be a lively rainbow when finished. Keep up the good work!

Chantal L. said...

I love 9Patch blocks and love them even more in blue. Dressed up in black N white, they sure look swell!
Maybe, in many years from now, someone will say: "what an innovative woman to put black with navy blue. I love a woman with guts!" HA!
Either way, it looks great to me. ;^)
scrapdotquiltsatgmaildotcome

Aunt 'Reen said...

These are very pretty blocks!
I love your fabrics and color choice for them.

Bente Antonsen said...

It looks great!!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Your blocks are great! They will make a wonderful quilt. Love the black and white prints!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh - these look pretty!

thecraftyyak said...

Designs don't have to be complicated to be striking - the alternating framing is great!

Kate said...

Great idea for a RSC quilt. The black and white frames are perfect.

Ivani said...

Looking good! They are pure eye candy!

Sandra said...

I love how the black and white prints look as background to your blue blocks. And turning the nine patch blocks on point really make the blocks stand out.

Deb A said...

Those frames really do add pizzaz to the block! They are looking great.