I have been working on the quilt top that belongs to my sister. It is a quilt top that she purchased because she loved the look of the design as well as the fabrics used. She didn't realize that it had some major problems.
I took off all of the borders and all of the setting triangles and I have tried to fix the center without taking it apart. I gave it a press with water and then spray starch to try to get it to cooperate but I have had limited success. :(
There was some extra fabric that came in the bag with the quilt and it happily included a big hunk of the black and gold print. I was able to make two new setting triangles for the sides and I made adjustments to the corner triangles as well and then sewed it all back together. Still, not perfect and with a few small ripples it doesn't lay completely flat. I think the only way to remedy that is to take everything apart including the pieced blocks and I am not going there. I can say that it is much better than what I started with.
I have started cleaning up the border strips that I removed. It is very boring to sit there and remove the leftover bits of thread from the strips while I am pressing them but I guess it does need to be done.
|pile of removed borders and setting triangles|