Thursday, January 21, 2016

My Sister's 'Treasure Quilt'


I have been working on the quilt top that belongs to my sister. It is a quilt top that she purchased because she loved the look of the design as well as the fabrics used. She didn't realize that it had some major problems.

I took off all of the borders and all of the setting triangles and I have tried to fix the center without taking it apart. I gave it a press with water and then spray starch to try to get it to cooperate but I have had limited success. :(

There was some extra fabric that came in the bag with the quilt and it happily included a big hunk of the black and gold print. I was able to make two new setting triangles for the sides and I made adjustments to the corner triangles as well and then sewed it all back together. Still, not perfect and with a few small ripples it doesn't lay completely flat. I think the only way to remedy that is to take everything apart including the pieced blocks and I am not going there. I can say that it is much better than what I started with.

I have started cleaning up the border strips that I removed. It is very boring to sit there and remove the leftover bits of thread from the strips while I am pressing them but I guess it does need to be done.

pile of removed borders and setting triangles
I don't really want to take every single border apart and remake it even though it is very tempting to do. I am hoping that I will be able to use them as is or with just a bit of modification. I have to remind myself that I am just trying to fix the quilt enough so that it can be quilted and used. It is the work of another quilter and it is their love and joy that went into it originally. I want to respect that even though this quilt top needs some extra lovin' and a little bit of help. ;)

5 comments:

Chantal L. said...

You have already done a great job on this quilt. You are right, it is not your quilt and making flat enough to be quilted should be the only thing you need to do. Good luck. ;^)

Deb A said...

I use a link roller to take up the threads. Good luck - your sister is a very lucky lady.

belarmina said...

Ellen que buen trabajo.
¡¡y muchísima paciencia!!
saludos

Angie in SoCal said...

Lots of times a little distortion is removed with the quilting. You're doing a great job of restoring it.

Donna said...

What an awesome sister, you are! Good luck in getting it worked out.