Sunday, January 31, 2016

Midget Blocks

I thought I would take a picture of all of the Midget Blocks I have made so far. What do you think...cute huh? I have completed 41 at this point and I still have quite a few to go before I have enough for a quilt. These blocks will finish at 4.5" and they can be a challenge to make! I am using
hand piecing, hand applique and machine piecing or a combination of the three techniques to complete these blocks.

I should probably take a group photo every ten or so blocks so that I see the overall picture of how they are coming together. Case in point - what is up with all the yellow backgrounds? I see that I need to use other colours besides yellow when the block calls for a background that is not neutral. lol

I started seeing these blocks on soscrappy's blog and I couldn't get enough of them so I decided to join in and make some of my own. Of course, Angela was way ahead of me and has a beautiful quilt to show for it!!! Deb of vtquilter joined in as well and she has many blocks made that are ready to be turned into a quilt. They were both much more dedicated at working on them on a regular basis than I was and it shows. :)

Blocks #51 to 196 are still available for free from Sentimental Stitches so pop on over and get them while you can!

I plan/hope to be a little more disciplined in making these little blocks and I am striving to do at least one a week. We will see how long I can keep it up but maybe I will find motivation in knowing that I will have the cutest quilt when they are done.

I am working today but later this evening I plan to work on this little cutie. I will definitely be hand piecing this one!

Pop on over to Kathy's Quilts to check out the links for more Slow Sunday Stitching.

18 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

These are just wonderful to see all together! :)

Deb A said...

Love seeing these all together! I am so excited you are picking this one back up again. Makes me want to get mine out and see them all together =)

Sarah said...

What a great collection of blocks!

Denise :) said...

These are darling blocks! How fun! :)

scraphappy said...

Beautiful! It is so fun to see them all together

The Cozy Quilter said...

Hard to believe those blocks finishe at 4"....lots of pieces! Nice to see everything you have done so far. How big is this quilt going to be?

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

That is very small, I don't think I can go there but they are so darn cute! Love seeing them all together!

Chantal L. said...

You got me hook on these little beauties. I haven't started yet but I download all the available patterns for someday ... you know. I enjoyed seeing all of yours together. So beautiful! Thanks for all the links to the others who worked this amazing quilt. I had a lot of fun looking at them all. Thanks for sharing Ellen. ;^)

Quilter Kathy said...

These are such adorable blocks and so tiny but labour intensive!
Love Angela's finished quilt... that is motivating to see how spectacular the finished quilt will be!
Enjoy!

CathieJ said...

Your mini blocks are very pretty. 4"? Wow, that is a whole lot of tiny work.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Those little blocks are adorable!

Igniteyourcreativespark - Kate Carter said...

What a delicious collection of blocks. If you like that miniture quilting have you ever had a go at La Passacaglia?

Shasta Matova said...

These are so beautiful! I have downloaded the patterns and hope to get to them someday. I still have Dear Jane blocks to finish up, so it may be a while before I start a project like this. It is tempting to just make a few blocks, and figure out later how to use them.

Aunt 'Reen said...

Your mini blocks are just darling!
This will make for a beautiful quilt.

Cheryl said...

Wow Ellen

All these little blocks look amazing! You are so courageous to start and keep going on such tiny blocks project. Your quilt will really be a show piece once they are all completed and put together.

Great job sis!

Karen said...

The midget blocks look oh so good all laid out. Time consuming making the little ones but make for a good look.

Donna said...

This will be an awesome quilt! These little blocks are so cute!

Jeanne said...

Great job on the Midget blocks! Can't wait to see them in a quilt.