Sunday, January 24, 2016

Midget Block #77 - Rising Sun

Good thing I am not a perfectionist - my best is good enough!
I hand pieced this block last week and it was a bit of an adventure! First off, I had trouble following the directions (it's me - not the directions) so I did it my way.

The only problem I had was that after I pressed a couple pieces I lost my 1/4" sewing line. I was puzzled and I thought I had forgotten to draw some of them but then I realized that when I had prepped the block, I used a Frixion pen to draw my stitching lines. I had started working on this block about a year ago and it has been sitting in a bin waiting for me to make it. So I had to wing it a bit because I really wasn't about to redraw the lines. I know...lazy...but I still put in my best effort!

The way I put the block together meant that I needed to attach the center portion using applique. Not really a problem except I lost my stitching lines when I pressed the first seam allowance. Oh, well...I think it looks charming and you can barely tell that my block is a bit wonky donkey! ;)

Today is Slow Sunday Stitching with link ups at Kathy's Quilts. I plan to do some more hand quilting on my Seven Sisters quilt this morning. I am not keeping up with it as much as I would like but I am making progress!  Won't you join us in some relaxing slow stitching today?


17 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I remember making copies of this group of patterns some years back as I thought I wanted to make this quilt - this was while I was making my second Dear Jane quilt - well by time I finished the DJ quilt I knew I didn't want to make another with tiny blocks and I think I actually tossed the patterns away that I had collected. I think yours is the first I have seen being made of this pattern. Do you have many blocks made?

Sarah said...

This looks way too fiddle for me. But it does look impressive!!

Deb A said...

Looks good to me! Great job.

Frances said...

Oh dear .. looks like another small block stitching project which I will have to investigate.

scraphappy said...

I remember fussing with that same block on an airplane on the way home from a vacation with my husband. It took the whole flight and I had no end of trouble with finding the long and short sides of the inset triangle bits. Your looks great! You would never now how much fuss it gave you along the way.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

My hat goes off to you for working on a midget block. I just can't go that small. They are so darn cute though!

Quilter Kathy said...

That has happened to me before with the frixion pen... iron a seam and the lines are gone!
It's magic and then it's a problem!! LOL
You did a fantastic job!

Aunt 'Reen said...

I think your little midget block looks great!
So much impressive piecework going on - only you would find fault in it!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I think your Rising Sun is beautiful! A job I know I will not be tackling.
Good Job Ellen!

Love sis

CathieJ said...

Your little block is very pretty. I like the fabrics. There was a whole lot of snow shoveling and not a lot of stitching going on here today. I did manage to shorten a pair of pants.

Chantal L. said...

Your block looks fantastic. I won't even try that one. Too many little bits to sew on angles, not my cup of tea at all, but I love yours. ;^)

thecraftyyak said...

No-one could tell that block gave you so many problems - it looks great

The Cozy Quilter said...

I don't see any wonky donkeys at all! Lovely block!

Sandra said...

The block looks quite complicated. You did a great job; looks perfect. I like your color combination too.

Karen said...

Your hand pieced block turned out quite nice.

LA Paylor said...

it's such a challenge to work small! Your blue 9-patches in B&W are excellent!LeeAnna

Cathy said...

Totally awesome! And cute.