Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Perogie Recipe

I have had a request for the recipe I use to make perogies and I am happy to oblige.

For this last batch of perogies I used about 8lbs of yellow potatoes and when I boiled them I added some chopped garlic to the cooking water as well as salt.

I chopped 3 or 4 large onions and fried them in butter with a dash of oil and some salt. I made sure the onions browned because that does add quite a bit of flavour to the potatoes.

When the potatoes were cooked I drained them (save the potato water) and mashed them. I added the fried onions and the butter they were fried in. I also added more salt to taste but you do need to add a little more salt than you think you might want because they will be wrapped in dough. The potatoes mashed up really well because I used yellow potatoes and I did not need to add any extra butter. Do not add milk when you mash them. If they are too dry add more butter. You do not want your mashed potatoes to be too soft but you don't want any lumps either.

The dough is made using the reserved potato water and if there is not enough you can also add milk. This recipe is for approximately 2lbs of potatoes but because I used 8lbs I just quadrupled the recipe.

2 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup potato water
1 tsp of oil
1 egg
salt

Mix/knead all of the ingredients together to make a stiff dough. You don't want it too dry but not too sticky either. I let it rest a bit before taking a chunk and rolling it out. You don't want the dough to be too thick or your perogies will be quite doughy but they need to be thick enough so that when you fill them they don't get holes from the dough stretching around the potatoes. I cut the dough using a round cookie cutter but you can use a glass or whatever you have at hand to get the size you want. To form the perogie, lay a cut piece of dough over your cupped fingers and thumb. Scoop up some potato using a teaspoon and put a blob in the center of the dough. Try to keep the potato away from the edges. As you can see in the photo, I  slightly press the potato into the center of the dough. Sometimes when you are forming the perogies the dough doesn't want to stick together when you are pinching them closed. I keep a small dish of water close to hand and just dip my fingertips in and moisten the inside edge of the perogies to help seal them if needed.

Simmer for 10 minutes in a large pot of boiling water or freeze on floured cookie sheets and store in freezer bags once frozen. They can be cooked from frozen and then sauted in butter and fried onions.

This is a basic dough recipe but sometimes you need to tweak it a bit. When I made my dough this time, I needed to add more flour than the recipe called for because we had high humidity in the house. We had been cleaning the carpets and it had been raining for a couple days previously and environment does have an effect on dough.

I hope you do try to make them - they are a bit time consuming to make but so good!

3 comments:

belarmina said...

Ellen gracias por tu receta!!
muy bien explicado y una aspecto fantástico
¡¡provare!!
saludos

Denise said...

Thanks Ellen for posting the recipe. Now to find the time to do them. They do freeze well right? Have you ever added sauerkraut to them? Thanks again!
Denise

desertskyquilts said...

That looks easy enough, I just need a day where I have enough energy to cook something. I love these, though, so I will try it soon. Thank you so much.