Saturday, September 19, 2015

Wow....Time Does Fly By!!!

It all started with a broken computer......

I recently got a brand new computer and I am ready to start blogging and sharing again. It is quite strange how difficult it is to start blogging again after such a long break! 
I have an upcoming trip to visit one of my brothers and I want to take a quilt with me to give as a gift to my ex sister-in-law. The trip is coming up quickly and I don't really have a lot of time to make a quilt from scratch so I thought I would quickly finish this one that I had been working on for the 2013 Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

I had put white borders on it thinking I would showcase some fancy type quilting in the large blank areas but things have changed. I have removed the borders and I will quilt it 'as is' and finish it up.

I don't actually need the quilt finished until October 12, which is Thanksgiving weekend, but I have been working part-time since May and that does put a bit of a cramp in my free time.
Something else that is new is this serger. I have been trying my hand at garment sewing and I have made a couple practice nightgowns. Nothing that I want to share at this time because I really am quite the beginner but I expect to get better as time goes on.

I used it to stay stitch around the outer perimeter of this quilt top because after ripping out the stitching to remove the border some of the seams were separating. I think the serger is going to be a very useful addition in the quilting studio.

Now that I have made this post I am very happy to be back in the swing of things!

10 comments:

Chantal L. said...

Welcome back! It's soooooo good to have you back. Good luck with your goal and the new serger. (Shhh! I too am trying garment sewing. Did a lot for the boys but never for me. Should be fun or funny! lol)

scraphappy said...

Welcome back into the blogging world. Having a stash of finished blocks can be so handy when a quick turn around is needed. Looks like it will be a great quilt.

canuckquilter said...

So good to see you here again! Yay for you, sewing garments...I made one simple outfit for each of my kids (have to keep it equal!) and skedaddled right back to quilting :) I need to try again sometime.

Deb A said...

Welcome back! You were missed =). So nice to have some blocks and a top to fit the need for a gift quilt. Good luck with meeting your deadline - two weeks... you can do it!

Aunt 'Reen said...

So nice to have you back in blogland!
Those blocks will make a wonderful gift quilt.
Congratulations on your new Serger, wishing you lots of enjoyment using it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

A serger is a wonderful addition to a sewing room. Congrats! on your new workhorse.

belarmina said...

Me alegra tu vuelta, con tus fantásticos trabajos
buena semana

barbara woods said...

welcome back.

Bente Antonsen said...

Hi. I am so glad you are back!! You inspire me to make scrappy quilts. Thanks.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I am happy to have you back too! It has been sooo long since we have had time to work on any quilting projects.

Love sis