Monday, September 21, 2015

Pierrette's Rainbow Quilt

Fresh off the frame!
My sewing room is filled with hunks of batting that are leftovers from other quilts. We all save these pieces with good intentions but these pieces are not big enough for a quilt. Some are really good sized chunks but they just aren't quite large enough so I keep passing them over for new full sized pieces that I can easily cut from the bolt. I really need to use these pieces up and get them out of my sewing room. They take up about 3 large laundry baskets and I just don't have the space! So, after I wrote my post the other day I grabbed three somewhat larger hunks and pieced them together to create a piece of batting big enough to accommodate the quilt I am working on.

The next thing I did was to piece a backing together. This same fabric was used as a backing for a quilt I had made as a gift and I had enough of it left but it also was in pieces that were not quite large enough. I had three pieces in total that included two larger pieces that when sewn together just didn't quite make it. I added the third piece along one side and it worked. Of course I was not able to match designs but I am okay with that. I still have enough left over that I could use as the binding for this quilt or I might be able to make a pillowcase. We'll see.

The quilting is now done and you really can't tell that I used a Frankenstein batting that was all stitched together. I am quite happy with the way this quilt is coming together. The quilting is fairly dense and should hold all of the batting together without any problems even after many washes.

Thank you all for the welcome back. I have missed blogging and all of the camaraderie that goes with it!

6 comments:

Cathy said...

I love that quilt. So simple and effective in the rainbow colours. It's good to see you back! I have bags and boxes full of batting scraps. I even have that iron on sticky stuff that pieces them together. Do I actually piece them together to use them?? Nope..............

Deb A said...

Hehehe.... good to know I am not the only one with all those little pieces and parts of batting. I actually used some last year and pieced two lap size quilt battings together. I use a zigzag stitch on the machine to connect them. The little ones.... are being used for place mats and will get used in my trip around the world 30 inch blocks that I plan to hand quilt. I am thinking I want to wish you a happy anniversary ... if I remember correctly.
How is your seven sisters quilting coming along? Would love to see the progress =)
Have a great week Ellen.

Chantal L. said...

Is there some smoke coming out of your sewing machine? I can't believe you've already finish this one: batting, backing, quilting and all! You did an excellent quilting job. She will love it to pieces I'm sure. Congrats!!

Jeanne said...

I love how that quilt turned out! Great use of fabrics!

audrey said...

I'm a big fan of pieced batting for the right quilt. Why not? Welcome back to the land of blogging, was wondering where you were.:)

Sheila said...

I love your rainbow quilt! I piece my large batting scraps all the time and I toss the narrow batting strips that I don't use for tote straps.