Thursday, January 8, 2015

Winding Ways is Coming Together


I swear....I am being gaslighted and the perpetrator is me!! Why am I doing this to myself??

I was missing the center pieces for four of the Winding Ways blocks and I couldn't seem to find them. So, as I wrote yesterday, I had gone on a frantic search looking for some of the leftover brown fabric and after turning everything in my sewing studio upside down I found some. My sister brought the Go die over to my place so that I could cut more pieces. Calm down...everything was going to be okay.

In the meantime, I finished making all of the blocks but the four and when I counted them I had a total of 81 + 4 which = 85. I couldn't for the life of me think what kind of layout I would have designed with 85 blocks?? I was thinking that I needed to somehow make some more blocks but I knew the piece of brown fabric I had just wouldn't be enough. What was going on?? Even though it was months ago I was so sure that my sister and I had cut enough of everything. I had tried to keep everything together as a project even though that hunk of brown fabric did escape. ;)

I decided to lay out all of the blocks onto the floor and lo and behold the numbers worked out perfectly. When I counted the blocks I must have used the 1, 2, skip a few, 3, 4....counting technique. lol.

With the number of blocks situation settled, I was preparing to cut the brown center sections to replace the missing parts but when I looked at the die I saw that it was impossible for me to not have cut all of the pieces and they had to be somewhere in my sewing studio. I walked in my sewing studio ready to search again and those missing pieces were just sitting in a bin on my sewing table. Huh?

All is well that ends well and I know my niece is going to have a gorgeous quilt but I sure hope that all of this nonsense is behind me!!

11 comments:

Aunt 'Reen said...

These blocks are all just gorgeous!

Oh the mind of a tortured artist.... lol. It's amazing how much pressure we can put on ourselves when working on something so special!

I'm really glad all the blocks were finally accounted for and you can begin the assembly process now!

audrey said...

Wow! Those blocks are looking good! I feel your pain with the mix-ups though. I've had that happen myself. Distraction? Sometimes I think organization and creativity do not go hand and hand.:)

Terri said...

I have counted that way before... they have a tendency to stick together. I usually wind up with a bunch of orphans.
Hugs

Kathy's A Quilter said...

Ellen, I cannot stop laughing at your counting method: 1, 2, skip-a-few, 3, 4. That explains the leftovers (and or miscounts) that I always have!! With your permission I shall use that again, and regrettably again.

Deb A said...

So glad those parts decided to show themselves overnight. I think they were playing hide and seek and decided to show up before they got replaced! Love the counting method.... I think we all do that.

belarmina said...

tu sobrina es afortunada
¡¡¡es un precioso edredón!!!
que ganas de verlo el el bastidor...
saludos

Michelle said...

So pretty Ellen.......maybe one day I'll attempt a cushion !

Chantal said...

Such a lovely quilt you are making. Every quilt has its story and this one is no exception!! and its a funny story to top it off well. :)

Jo said...

I would love that quilt. It is a design I havent done yet.
It doesn't want to be finished but stick with it.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

This has been well worth the effort and anxiety you are going through. I know easy for me to say! I sure hope I end up with all my parts when I put my album quilt together.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Just too funny how it seems everything we lose ends up right under our nose! Winding Ways is beautiful and I am so happy that you have all your blocks almost completed. Wonderful work sister! Love you. Cheryl