Saturday, January 10, 2015

RSC 2015 - Week 2


This week's sampler block is called Card Trick. I am glad Angela posted the directions and a diagram to make this block because I had never made one before. I really had to pay attention when I put it together. ;)

I spent a lot of time picking my fabric scraps and not because I wanted a specific look other than the medium blue and the light background. The block required the use of 1.5" and 2.5" strips and therein lies the problem. I had a lot of trouble trying to find fabric that I wanted to use and that I had available in both sizes in my bins. I really am quite determined to use just scraps and bits and pieces from my parts bins.

I had great intentions of making some other blue scrappy blocks this week but life happened and the blocks didn't!
Wanda's Card Trick
When Angela posted the block it reminded me of the quilt that my late sister-in-law made for my husband and I. It was a gift that she made for us for Christmas 1995. I don't use it a lot because I don't want to ruin it but after I took the photo I put it on our bed. I think I will keep it there for a little while.

Pop on over to soscrappy's so you can show off what you made with your blue scraps this week!

12 comments:

scraphappy said...

Your block turned out beautifully. I know what just you mean about wanting to use up just the scraps. It feels good to make something out of the bins.

Scrappy quilter said...

Great block and what a lovely quilt.

barbara woods said...

beautiful block , this pattern is on my 'to do' list

Karen said...

You have used lovely fabrics in your card trick block.

Nell's Quilts said...

I was glad Angela posted the little diagram. It helped keep all the bits in the right place. What a beautiful card trick quilt. Love the colour combination.

Chantal said...

Great block Ellen. Very lovely quilt too. I would be the same as you and not used the quilt but try to preserve it as long as I could.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Lovely little block. Nice choice of colour. I think Wanda would be very happy that you are using her quilt and thinking of her in many of your projects. Love sis

Jo said...

That is a really sweet quilt. Good memories

Aunt 'Reen said...

Beautiful block!
I think I've always loved this pattern.

What a special gift to have and to hold onto the memories of your sister-in-law. To me that is the most endearing part of quilting. Those lasting connections with those we hold dear!

Deb A said...

That turned out great. So happy you are adding great memories into this quilt.

Jennie in GA said...

Nice color choices. And what a treasure of a quilt....and a coincidence that it is this week's pattern. Glad you pulled it out to enjoy it. You know she would be pleased!

Kathy's A Quilter said...

great selection of blues and background. Feels fabulous to use up ALL the scraps...well I can dream can't I. Nice legacy and remembrance quilt to pull out this month too.