Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Dear Jane - Ashley's Aura (C-6)


I made another Dear Jane block for Tiny Tuesday. This is another block that I chose to complete using applique. I traced the block onto freezer paper and I cut away the melon shapes. Once I did that I ironed the freezer paper onto the background fabric so that I would have an accurate template for placement of the melons.
freezer paper template

With a Frixion pen, I marked the melon shapes onto the background fabric. I then removed the freezer paper template. Once I made the melon applique shapes I used a bit of glue to hold them down in position while I stitched away.

As you can see I am still having trouble with the points on the melons but there is improvement. One of the points actually looks pretty good. ;))

My Dear Jane blocks are not perfect but I am learning and practicing many new-to-me techniques. If I waited until I had perfect skills (which is not ever going to happen!!!!) then I would never make any quilts. I am truly enjoying the process!

7 comments:

Manuela said...

Wonderful DJ block.

Greetings, Manuela

belarmina said...

cada bloque de tu Querida Jane me gusta
y disfruto mirĂ¡ndolo
saludos

audrey said...

Love this sweet little block! And you're so right. If we waiting until we had all the skills to move forward, we would never get anything made.:)

Aunt 'Reen said...

A beautiful little block!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Very nice job! Very cute block.I like the fabric choice for the Dear Jane Block too.

Love sis

Jo said...

I think you are doing a great job...

Chantal said...

I love your block Ellen. Most of us when looking at an antique quilts, the blocks that are most endearing are the not-so-perfect one. It just shows how human this person was and yet she made the quilt anyway. Your block is perfect the way it is because it is completed. I hope you never change it. ;^)