Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Winding Ways

I worked on my Winding Ways quilt blocks yesterday and I made some pretty good progress with them. This is not a quilt block that I can just whip through and have done quickly. All of that curved piecing requires lots of time and pinning - which I usually try to avoid. One good thing is that after sewing so many of the curved pieces I have it down to just using two pins.

I have seen photos of two-pronged pins and if I ever see them in the store I will have to buy them. I think they would work wonderfully to hold the layers together so they won't shift...and I would only need to use one pin!

I already have quite a few blocks completed and I have included an old photo of my design wall. I have changed things up a bit with the construction of the blocks and I am chain piecing them now and I think it is speeding things up a bit.

After my sewing session yesterday I have all of the pink corner sections of the blocks pieced. When I left off previously I had finished the sections with the brown corner pieces. The next step is to sew the center sections to the corners. I have already pinned quite a few of them so they will be ready for me to sew today.



9 comments:

Peg said...

Wow, what an ambitious project. I once had a special foot for sewing curves, but it broke from disuse believe it or not! Curves just scare me!

belarmina said...

me gusta muchísimo este nuevo edredón!!!!
saludos

Deb A said...

You are doing great with those curves! Some day I will try them again on the machine.... way too much mumbling and muttering the last time I tried it years ago.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I have always loved this pattern. Your blocks look wonderful!

Jo said...

This is a lovely design. It will all come together soon. Keep it up

Michelle said...

Love the blocks Ellen......
The colours are just lovely......I love a good pink and brown quilt.

Cathy said...

I wondered what the name of that pattern was! I love how you can see circles as a secondary pattern. And your colors make it look so warm and inviting. I've taken to curves lately too and I must say it does take a little practice but the practice is well worth it.

Jo said...

What is that bar next to you machine foot

Quilter Kathy said...

Looks gorgeous Ellen!