Saturday, December 20, 2014

Sampler Blocks - RSC 2014


the upper right block looks more teal blue than teal green
This is the second last Saturday for the 2014 Rainbow Scrap Challenge and with Christmas nearly upon us there seems to be less and less time to sew. I am still working on making blocks for the Sampler quilt that Angela designed for 2014 and this week I have added the six blocks on the right. I have made progress with the Sampler blocks but I really can't say that I am getting caught up because there is very little chance of that this year. ;)

The good news is that I did get all of the green/teal coloured blocks done but there are many more blocks to make and there just won't be enough time before now and the end of the year. I will just continue to make these blocks into 2015 and I know by the end of the year I am going to have a very pretty quilt.

strings, crumbs and block pieces
There is one good thing about making these scrappy blocks in just one or two sewing sessions and that is it makes less mess. I am able to pull out all of the scraps and strips at one time and that means it is quick work to sort the unused strips and cut down what is left of the smaller strips into usable block pieces instead of having the leftovers hanging around my cutting table. These bits and pieces have already been put away waiting for their turn to be used in a future quilt.

Pop on over to soscrappy's and check out the links to see what other participants in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge have been up to!

11 comments:

scraphappy said...

Your teal blocks look wonderful! It really isn't a race. The patterns will still be there, and the quilt will be beautiful -- whenever it gets done. So glad you are sorting your scraps at the same time! Huge accomplishment.

Deb A said...

That is a smart way to organize! The teal blocks look great. You are going to have a wonderful looking sampler quilt when you are done.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Those are fabulous blocks! I think I'll give Angela's blocks a try in the new year.

Marly said...

Well done. You're right there: if you can get into the swing and do a whole month's worth in one sitting that really saves time searching and sorting. I found teal difficult too. I'd never heard of it as a colour: here it seems to be known as aqua (but that's rather light) and blue-green!

Chantal said...

Great work and so organized. I ♥love♥ that upper right block.

Teresa in Music City said...

Love those teal blocks!!! Sometimes it is fun to have a quilt to carry over into the New Year - it feels like an old friend :)

Kate said...

Beautiful teal blocks. I tried to do what you are doing with cutting up the scraps into usable strips and such. It worked really well the months I managed to make it that far.

Quilter Kathy said...

That is one of the things I love about the RSC - it helps to keep the scraps organized and useable. Great job!

Quilting Nonnie said...

I love the teal blocks! I, too, am carrying over my 2014 RSC quilt, but am very excited to finish it.I think you did great with all those different blocks that Angela showed.

Cathy Tomm said...

Great teal blocks. I am way behind on the sampler blocks too. So we can both work on them in 2015.

Cathy said...

Looking good! I didn't follow along with the sampler but sure like what I'm seeing out there!