Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Little Houses is Done!

I called this quilt 'Home is Where the Heart Is' and I think it is the perfect name for it. I love how this quilt turned out. The fabric choices are very whimsical and I say 'choices' very loosely because I just went totally scrappy and pretty much totally random. I just grabbed fabric scraps, cut them all into the needed pieces using templates and laughed as I sewed it all together and I think it all works. Other than the sashing and cornerstones the only colour choice that I controlled was that I wanted the houses to all have red doors.

I actually finished this quilt in October but just didn't blog about it then. I took it to my guild for show and tell and so many people complimented me on it. It gave them a good idea of how to use up their scraps building little houses of their own.

I quilted it using a pantograph called Double Plume and I used a cream thread. This quilt finished at 71" x 86" and it will live with me. I didn't have anyone around to hold the quilt while I photographed it so Peanut took advantage of the quilt on the floor and posed for the camera.
back

I originally got the house pattern from Building Houses from Scraps but I resized it to a 6" finished block. I sewed all of the blocks together on my Singer 301a but I pieced the top and added the sashing using my Janome 1600 - I love both machines! Both are straight stitch and because of that I can use a seam guide to make sure I am working with a 1/4" seam allowance and the guide doesn't get in the way of the feed dogs.

A reader had caught a glimpse of the seam guide in an earlier post and wanted to know what it was. I offered to take a photo and include it in a post so she could have a better look. It screws into the bed of my machine and the seam width can be easily adjusted if needed.





15 comments:

Jo said...

Thanks for the extra photo Ellen. I think I have one of those in my drawer but I never knew what it was for. I will have a closer look now

Deb A said...

That's what that is? I think I have one in the box for my 301 from my Grammy. I really must get the tension working on that and give it some exercise. Maybe some houses from scraps can be made on it starting in January?
Love how your houses came out. Beautiful.

Monica said...

Congratulations! I love this design, and it is always great to see another variation. At first I thought your quilt was high on the wall, until I saw your dog defying gravity there! But it looks good from any angle. :D

Terry said...

I love your houses...they look wonderful! :0)

belarmina said...

Madre mía!!!
es muy bonito....
no conocía ni vi nunca esos patrones
¿es fácil para trabajar?
saludos

canuckquilter said...

This quilty is fabulous! I love the scrappy and the red sashing, and the blocks and...

Manuela said...

Congratulation.
The Quilt looks great.

Greetings, Manuela

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This quilt is wonderful ! Congrats on your finish!

scraphappy said...

What a beautiful quilt. It would be a great way to use up so many little bits. The red sashing and red doors really ties it all together nicely.

Chantal said...

I love your village or small town. It so country like. Congrats.

audrey said...

Your house quilt is fabulous! Love it. The red is the perfect color for the sashing.:)

Michelle said...

Wow...!!!
Love it.

Quiltbenaco said...

Gran bel lavoro, il risultato è straordinario!

Peg said...

Wow, another fabulous scrap quilt!

Cathy said...

I love it too. What fun.