Sunday, December 21, 2014

Floral Seven Sisters



Christmas is fast approaching but, thankfully, we have really scaled down our Christmas preparations. There are just a few things left that need to be taken care of. There really isn't a lot of shopping to to do other than buying what I need to prepare for Christmas Eve dinner so I have been working on the floral Seven Sisters blocks instead of participating in the Christmas rush!


I wanted to see what a finished block would look like with my chosen fabrics and honestly, I couldn't be happier. The floral print doesn't photograph very well but it really is beautiful! It did take quite a bit of slow-stitching time this week to finish the block and I doubt that I will get the rest of the blocks done this quickly. ;) I just couldn't resist!

When cutting the fabric pieces I realized that I had lost the template for the trapezoid shape and I also needed to make a better template for the 4 large corner triangles. It was done pretty easily and quickly from template plastic and one from cardboard.

I was asked it I am using a pattern and my response is not really. I had found a pattern for the block on-line years ago, although I can't find it now, but it is really a standard Seven Sisters block. My blocks are rectangular...if I added a narrow strip of fabric along the top and bottom it would square them but I didn't think it was necessary for my purposes. My unfinished triangle template fits perfectly on a 2" strip of fabric although I am marking and cutting the triangles from yardage not strips.

My plan today is to spend some time marking and cutting my fabric for more of the Seven Sisters blocks. I want to have everything cut and ready for piecing so I can just pick it up and work on it - no muss no fuss.
back of block
Pop on over to Kathy's Quilts - Slow Sunday Stitching and check out the links to see what other participants are working on.

11 comments:

Julierose said...

I really love the background fabric you chose--quiet but with a subtle movement...nice hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

Your hand stitching is so beautiful! Wow! I would never show the back of my hand stitch blocks lol. You got quite a lot accomplished during this busy week. Awesome!

Angie said...

Your block looks great! I'm looking forward to watching these bloom. Have I mentioned before that Seven Sisters is one of my favorite blocks?!

scraphappy said...

Beautiful block! I wasn't sure that I would love the floral fabric when I first saw it, but now that I see the block, it is really so pretty. Enjoy your slow stitching.

belarmina said...

¡¡¡fantástico bloque!!!
me gusta esa tela cuando la vi el primer día
me gusta es precioso
saludos

Quilter Kathy said...

Gorgeous! From the back, the block looks like a sparkly snowflake!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I LOVE this floral fabric!

canuckquilter said...

I will admit, when you first showed this fabric, I thought it might be too busy. Seeing the 7 stars together on that background, I can see I was worng. This is gorgeous!

Kate said...

Beautifully done!

Jo said...

I love how you are so excited about getting stuck into the next quilt. I like the fabrics...

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

This is going to make another great quilt. Do you know which sister will get which quilt as you makd them?