Sunday, December 28, 2014

Dear Jane - Eye of the Cyclone (C-5)

This block ended up turning out pretty well considering I had a bit of a false start with it. I was trying to come up with a way to make the block without doing a lot of curved piecing and I just ended up making a big mess.  At first I thought I would applique the center wedge shapes onto the background fabric but it just didn't work for me. I really need to think things through before I jump in!

So, I backtracked and I re cut the center bits and hand sewed them together into a circle. Once that was done, I marked and cut a circle out of the center of the background fabric and I made sure that I also allowed for a seam allowance. I nipped the seam allowance of the background fabric and creased it under into a circular shape and I used a few dabs of washable glue stick to hold it in place. Next, I aligned the center section of the block behind the background fabric and it was also held in place with a bit of glue while I did reverse applique. It worked great and I had no problem with it at all. Once I got that done I appliqued those little hook shaped pieces onto the background fabric too. They were quite easy to align because I had the rounded center to use as a guide for the curves.


I am linking up to Kathy's Quilts - Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over and have a look at what other slow stitchers have been working on. Kathy has done a great job of reminding us to slow down, breathe deeply and relax with some hand work each week!

9 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I wish I had the guts to do this quilt! It would be so much fun to quilt!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Yikes--that is one challenging block--no wonder I've never cracked the binding on my Dear Jane book!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

OMGOSH...What a wonderful job. Love it.

Chantal said...

Great block Ellen but even greater is your determination to get it done. Bravo. Love the block.

Jo said...

Not sure how many Dear Jane blocks you have done but this site shows how she did them. No measurements but a break down of assembly.
http://thatquilt.blogspot.com.au

audrey said...

So complicated! Love it!!

CathieJ said...

Wow, that is a great block. You did a great job figuring out how to make it.

Quilter Kathy said...

Wowzer... that was a hard block. And so many steps for such a small block... well done!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great job on a challenging block!