Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Blue Seven Sisters is Done!


I finished stitching the binding on this quilt on Sunday while participating in Slow Sunday Stitching hosted by Kathy. I still had a fair amount of binding to attach but I so wanted to get this quilt done so I plunked myself down onto the couch and stitched away while my husband and I watched an Indiana Jones movie.

Overall, I have invested a lot of time in this quilt. It is hand-pieced and hand quilted - everything was done by hand for this quilt - I did not use my sewing machine at all. I quilted it in an all-over Baptist Fan motif with blue thread. I love the old-fashioned look of this quilt!

One of the reasons that I blog is so that I can easily keep track of the info on my quilts. Unfortunately, I didn't start blogging until December 2010 and by then I already had all of the blocks for this quilt pieced so I don't have anything from that part of my journey documented.

I first showed the blocks for this quilt in March 2012 and I was just starting to add the sashing. Fast forward to February 2014 and I started working on the quilting, and now, almost a year later it is done! This quilt often sat in the corner waiting for me to visit and pet it while I quilted it. It has been very patient ;))).

This quilt finished at 73" x 83" and it will be added to the other two seven sisters quilts I have made. I only have four more to make.....and once I get them all done each of my six sisters and I will have one to keep. These quilts have very special meaning to me and to my sisters as well.
 

12 comments:

blauraute said...

Hi Ellen,
what a beautiful quilt. your hand quilting looks very nice.I can imagine that you are happy to finisch this wonderful quilt.
Have a nice day, perhaps in your sewing room
Roswitha

Deb A said...

So beautiful! Congrats on the finish.

belarmina said...

es un edredón precioso
¡¡¡ quisiera ser una de tus hermanas!!!
felices ellas por tenerlo
saludos

Manuela said...

Congratulation.
The quilt looks amazing.

Greetings, Manuela

audrey said...

I'm so excited for your finish! It was a long time coming and feels really good I'm sure.:)

canuckquilter said...

It's wonderful!

Jo said...

I think you have done amazing job. It is a treasure to have it hand pieced and quilted. A lovely finish. What the plan/colour & start date for the next one

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

How special that each sister will get a quilt. Will all of them be hand pieced? What a great accomplishment to make it completely by hand.

Quilter Kathy said...

Congratulations Ellen! That is an amazing accomplishment and I know how much work has gone into this quilt. What colour is next??!

Chantal said...

It is soooooooo amazing!! What a beautiful statement of your profound love you have for your sisters. Congratulations!
Maybe you should take pictures of the others and maybe share with us :) .. I mean in order to keep track of the work you have done. :D

Michelle said...

Love it Ellen......
That's a challenge for my quilting bucket list....!!
One day it will happen.

Angie said...

Congratulations! That is a wonderful accomplishment and expression of love! Brava!