Friday, October 3, 2014

Winding Ways



It sure doesn't look like 96 block segments!
Yesterday, I spent quite a bit of time piecing these curved block sections for my pink and brown winding ways quilt. I did pretty well and I got 96 done and that is enough for 24 more blocks. I am now finished all of the pink with brown corner sections and I am ready to move on to sewing the rest of the sections that are brown with pink corners and then of course I still need to add the center sections. I do already have quite a few full blocks completed and I am hoping to streamline the process with the final blocks.

I wasn't too sure how I felt about these blocks but once I put the finished blocks up on the design wall I was relieved to see that it does look better than I anticipated. I hope it all works out because it is quite a challenging block to piece. It is also a bit tedious and time consuming to sew all of those curves. :Q

Way back when I first started sewing these blocks I used three pins on these curves but on these block sections I have got it down to just using two pins. Good thing for me that my sister Cheryl cut these blocks for me using her Studio cutter because those notches really do help with alignment. Honestly, I try to avoid using pins whenever I can but I really cannot get away with it for these blocks!!

14 comments:

canuckquilter said...

This is beautiful. A Winding Ways is on my quilting bucket list, but it looks very intimidating.

Terri said...

You are making a beauty. Reminds me of a chocolate cupcake. Yummy.
Hugs

Terry said...

One of these days, I'm going to make a quilt like that! Yours is looking good! :0)

Deb A said...

I got so excited when I saw your title! Your WW is just beautiful. Lots of work but so worth it.

audrey said...

Love seeing this quilt come together! The colors are just gorgeous.:)

Julierose said...

this is really beautiful--I just love the way circles appear when you look at the whole piece. And the brown/pink combo is yummy...like biting into a chocolate with pink creme center ummm. hugs, Julierose

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

A someday quilt for me! Your looks great!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Your blocks are looking fantastic! I too love the pink and chocolate brown. Now if only I would work on mine. Love sis

Julie in GA said...

This is a pattern I hope to make someday. Yours is going to be beautiful!

Chantal said...

A very lovely quilt you are making. I love the movement Winding Ways blocks make but I think I will past on making one of my own. I try to avoid pinning whenever I can too. So I will just sit and enjoy yours okay? It's coming along great. Great job Ellen.

scraphappy said...

Beautiful quilt. All those curves are a bit intimidating for me. I tried a block once, many years ago, but gave up after bending it all hopelessly out of shape. Looks like you have it down to a science.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

this is beautiful! I have admired a winding ways in a quilt book of mine but I don't think my skills are up to it yet, but every time I look at it, I think...someday! :)

Aunt 'Reen said...

WOW...this is going to be stunning!
Studio cutting these shapes was a smart decision. They are already a bit challenging to sew, accuracy in cutting is key to the success in sewing them together. LOVE your fabric choices too!

Jeannie said...

Beautiful Ellen! love your fabric choices.