Monday, August 4, 2014

The Magic of Quilting


Whenever I finish the quilting process I am always amazed at the transformation that takes place. A simple flimsy made up of a patchwork of fabric all of a sudden becomes something special - a quilt.

closer look at the quilting on the front



I am so happy with the quilting design that I used for this cuddle quilt. It is called Double Plume and the end result is wonderful. I love the look of this quilt so much that I took more than a few pics while it was still hanging over the long arm :).

When I finished sewing the flimsy together it was approx 60" x 69" but with the process of quilting I am pretty sure it has shrunk. This quilting design is a bit dense and it has such wonderful texture. I still need to trim the quilt and then I will take some new measurements so that I can get going on the binding. 

back
At this point I plan to to use the darker solid blue for the binding - it is the same blue that I used for the triangle points. I just need to get it prepped and attached by machine and then I can relax and admire the quilt while I hand stitch the binding to the back.
closer look at the quilting on the back

10 comments:

Chantal said...

Just gorgeous!! Really GORGEOUS! The double plume is a very nice pattern. Well done.

Gina said...

great quilt. I love the quilting and the fabric you've used on the back. I'm like you. I feel a quilt only comes alive once it's been quilted xxx

Manuela said...

Your quilting is perfect.

Greetings, Manuela

Jo said...

Lovely work. Well done. Always feels good to be nearly finished

Quilter Kathy said...

A beautiful quilting design!!

Prima Donna said...

Oh, I agree. The quilting always makes those fabric pieces come together and bloom. This is a beautiful quilt.

Terri said...

The quilting is amazing which makes the quilt amazing. Love the front, and the back is great, too. You did a great job.
Hugs

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Beautiful!

Deb A said...

Your wonderful quilting really does bring out the lovely quilt. Enjoy your binding stitching.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I call it magic, it happens every time. Always puts a smile on my face. Saw a panel that someone machine quilted and added a bit of trapunto to it. It was just amazing. I may have to try one! It would be a fun way to practice my machine quilting. I love the design you used on this one!