Thursday, August 28, 2014

Scrap Organization Underway!

Flimsy waiting for borders
Even though I really want to work on adding the borders to my little houses quilt top I have been diligently sorting through my scraps instead. It is TEDIOUS work but I know that it will be worth it in the end. I was feeling quite frustrated as I was sewing the little houses top into a flimsy because I just did not have enough clear space in my sewing area. I want to be able to properly sew on my borders without all kinds of 'stuff' getting pushed off the table top and onto the floor. And...it's not just the surfaces of the tables that are stacked with excess stuff. Enough is enough!!

Previously, I had started the process of sorting strings and crumbs by colour and I found that it was just way too much work and it took way too many containers. I just don't have the ability to store so many individual scrap bins so I gave up. This time I have taken the step of just using 3 large laundry baskets to contain my light, medium and dark toned strings. Of course, there is lots of overlap within each bin because sometimes I consider one piece of fabric as part of one category and other times I think it belongs in another. ;)) So far, I have one very large bin and one very large bag of crumbs as well. I am not sorting those by colour or value at all. I want a very simple system that I can keep up without too much effort.

Something that is really helping me with cutting down the larger scraps is my Accuquilt Go die cutter that my husband recently gave me as a gift. I don't have a lot of dies...yet...but I have been putting the ones I have to good use. I am pretty sure that if I sewed all of these pieces together that I would have enough scraps cut to make at least one quilt!!

10 comments:

Brenda said...

Looking good. As long as it works, it is working!! And the trick is to just keep up on the 'system' and not fall back to the 'old' way!!
We all had/have to start somewhere, and look at what you have done!!

Gina said...

Looks good. I need to sort my scraps too. I'm slowly getting into the habit of cutting them as I'm cutting my fabric so any new scraps are already sorted xxx

Julierose said...

Oh I am in the same process right now--today I have to iron my scraps from the first pickings and then cut with my Go! Baby and sort. I do have a lot of darks and lights--but how to determine mid range colors is tricky I think--especially with flowered fabrics with many colors...have a great weekend--I'll think of you sorting...hugs, Julierose

belarmina said...

las casitas están preciosas!!!
y las telas ordenadas muy bien
algún día tendré que poner orden an las mías
buen fin de semana

belarmina said...

las casitas están preciosas!!!
y las telas ordenadas muy bien
algún día tendré que poner orden an las mías
buen fin de semana

Quilter Kathy said...

I love your basket idea... it looks so enticing to dig around and see what's in there!

barbara woods said...

love your quilt

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I did this four years ago and it really got the juices flowing. I couldn't make the quilts fast enough. I am down to one box of strings and a shoe box of 1.5 in squares The rest of my fabric is all large enough to fold on shelves by color. Even that is getting used regularly. Then it will be time to start the wholecloth I have wanted to do. Good luck with your sorting.

audrey said...

Love your houses quilt! Wonderful that you're using up scraps to make it. I have tried sorting my scraps into colors too, and it just gets too unwieldy, all the tote storage involved.:)

Missie of Traditional Primitives (formerly Hallbrook Designs) said...

Hello! I have been spending a few minutes catching up on your blog. It has been a while since I've had a chance to keep up with all the blogs I follow! I must say I admire your posts about your sewing room! Mine too is a total mess! It has been that way for a year of organizing, reorganizing and giving up while I finished up The Gardens Of A King quilt pattern. It had taken over my like and I'm so happy to have time to straighten up now. However when I go down there, I turn around because I just don't know what to do! Thank you for inspiring me today. Perhaps I will find the courage today!