Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Practice Quilting


Guild cuddle quilt top for quilting
At the last meeting for the season of the York Guild I picked up a couple tops from the Outreach table that needed quilting. They provided just about everything - the flimsy, the backing and the binding. All I needed to provide was thread, batting and quilting time.

I am very happy to make a contribution of time to the guild and I don't mind doing it by making and/or quilting some of the charity quilts. I do gain benefit of my own because I get to practice my free-motion quilting and boy-oh-boy do I ever need practice!!!

not so pretty
I still need lots of practice with my free hand flowers so I loaded one of the tops onto the frame this morning. The backing is pink and white so I decided to use pink thread and I think it works. I did a combination of loops and flowers but it is too bad that my flowers didn't turn out as nice as I would have liked.
these flowers turned out 'okay'
Sometimes I feel destined that my free-motion skills will never be good and that is discouraging but I will keep trying. Overall, the top looks okay but if you actually look at the flowers you will see that some are really bad and others are just okay. At this point, if I can even get my free-motion skills to the adequate level I will be happy!

I will load the second quilt onto the frame today or tomorrow so that I can do some more practicing - I need it!

6 comments:

Chantal said...

Baby steps and you WILL get there. If at first you fail, try, try again. I think the flowers in the second picture are VERY good. The petals are round ... you should some others... hmmm! Yours are nicer. You are getting there so don't be too harsh on yourself.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I think being too self critical is something that we all deal with. I wish I was brave enough to even try free motion quilting. I think your flowers were great and practicing on these charity quilt will help you on your way.

Jane said...

We think the quilting looks great! Thanks so much for doing this for the guild.

scraphappy said...

You are WAY to hard on yourself. Anyone else looking at your quilt would think it was beautiful. Keep practicing and give yourself a little credit.

Jo said...

I think it looks great. Don't be to hard on yourself. You have quilted it and a job well done

Quilter Kathy said...

Looks great from here! The only way to improve on machine quilting is to keep trying, and changing the things you didn't like about the last quilt. This is a great idea to practice on charity quilts.