Thursday, August 14, 2014

Little Houses


Not much to see but there is progress!
I am still working away on my little houses quilt blocks. I have added the sashing and cornerstones to almost all of the blocks but I have left a few untouched because I am not going to add cornerstones to the outer sashing. I will be able to just sew on long strips like a border and it will be complete.

Sashing strips will be added later depending on block placement.
When I start joining the blocks together I think they will end up being placed side by side in a rather willy-nilly fashion. My design wall is way too small to hold all of the blocks and it is quite the challenge to lay them out on the floor. The only floor space I have available is on the main floor and my sewing studio is on the second floor so I am not usually successful at keeping them in the correct order when I sew them together. Somehow I always manage to get them mixed up so I will just try to avoid all of that angst altogether.

I don't have any real design plans for this quilt - it is basically make my decisions as I come to them. I have been thinking about different border ideas but I don't have anything planned. It will definitely be a trial and error process.

I just may be able to squeeze some more time in my sewing studio this afternoon. I am really looking forward to working on the next phase of this soon-to-be quilt!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Ooooh! I just love these little houses. I am quite envious that you will have this little treasure. Maybe I will get one done but I know the amount of effort that went into this one and I am not sure I will commit to it. So glad that I will be able to get to enjoy yours. Love sis

Julierose said...

these are lovely little houses--really liking the detail! this will be a wonderful piece...hugs, Julierose

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

When I first saw you pic I thought those are odd shaped houses. Now I see they are layered on top of other blocks. Maybe I need to put my reading glasses on. There were a lot of house blocks in Quiltmaker last issue. They always put a smile on my face.

Aunt 'Reen said...

These houses are all so unique and darling! I can't wait to see more!

Jo said...

You are moving on with these. They are going to look great