Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Finish


Over the past few days I have been spending time working on hand stitching the binding onto the back of this quilt and I finally finished it very early this morning.

Molly inspecting the back
I had spent yesterday in Toronto running errands with and for my Mother and by the time I got home I was beat. I ended up going to bed at 9 pm but then for some reason I was wide awake at 1 am. I stayed in bed until 2 but sleep was elusive so I got up and worked on this quilt. At 4:45 am I tucked in the last loose quilting thread tail.

I love the way this quilt turned out - I love everything about it...except the reason I made it. I have decided to call it 'A Warm Hug' and I hope that every time Carol uses it that she will feel the warm hug that has been stitched into it.

This quilt finished at 58" x 66" and was quilted using a pantograph called Double Plume. Something that I must keep in mind is that the size of the finished quilt really is affected by quilting. When I loaded the flimsy on the frame it was actually 60" x 69". Of course, the difference in size does depend on how dense the quilting is. Even though it did shrink a fair bit I think it is still the perfect size for a cuddle quilt.

8 comments:

Peg said...

It is a perfect size, and so lovely. Carol will surely feel the warm hugs!

Jo said...

I think it a most usable size. Looks great. Well done

Grit said...

This quilt is really fantastic. Congratulation !!!

Quilter Kathy said...

It's a wonderful quilted hug! I just know it will bring comfort and warmth to Carol!

Terri said...

Your Hugs quilt is beautiful. Carol has a wonderful friend.
Hugs

Chantal said...

Way to go Ellen! Congratulations on a beautiful finish. Friends appreciate what we make no matter the size, from quilts to mug rugs. She will love it. It is very beautifully done.

Aunt 'Reen said...

What a beautiful and very special quilt! Congratulations on another wonderful finish!

Deb A said...

What a great finish. I hope it brings her lots of comfort as she snuggles under the quilt.