Tuesday, July 8, 2014

On the Frame

My sister Cheryl is making a quilt for our great nephew Xavier and she has asked me to quilt it for her. I tried to get her to commit to a particular pattern either free-hand or panto and all she would say is 'do whatever you want'.

I got the top loaded on the frame last night and I am ready to go but I just don't know how to quilt it. I wish it was easy for me but the quilt just does not magically tell me what and how to do it. Some quilters just know exactly how they want the quilt to look and they have the imagination and skill to make the magic happen. It doesn't have to be fancy or complicated but I do want to make it look like it was done well and not really sloppy. I think I will pull out my whiteboard and play around a little bit this morning and see what happens. Hopefully, I will figure something out quickly because I need it finished for tomorrow morning.

Thank you to all of you for your words of sympathy on the loss of my brother-in-law. I do appreciate all of your kind thoughts.


5 comments:

scraphappy said...

For some reason this quilt says, "oak leaves and acorns" to me. Do you have a nice small scale panto that will work? Something with leaves or vines? They always look so professional.

audrey said...

I have a really tough time deciding on the stitching for certain quilts too. This one looks like any number of things will work, so it may not have an absolute 'best' overall pattern. Good luck!

Deb A said...

I like Angela's idea. The colors seem like autumn.... so pumpkins, leaves, vines should look great. I'm sure it will be beautiful with whatever you decide. So sorry for your family's loss.

belarmina said...

Sera un magnifico edredón
estaré atenta para ver que decisión tomaste
saludos

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Was going back into your blog and discovered Xavier's quilt again. It just looks so beautiful and you quilted it perfectly with the perfect design. I am just so happy that you had more of the diamond fabric as it was exactly what this quilt needed. I really must quilt more quilts that has sashings with the dominate pattern!

Love sis