Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Log Cabin Quilts


Luminous

Last Wednesday was the final meeting of the season for the Moraine Quilt Guild and one of the members, Angela, was giving a show and tell about Log Cabin quilts. OMG she had so many amazing log cabin quilts!

We were asked to bring in our log cabin quilts for show and tell as well.

Luminous backing
I have made three log cabin quilts - two for my sister Glenda and one for our neighbours. You can read about the neighbours quilt here.

I was able to pry the two quilts from my sister Glenda with the promise that I would return them safe and sound. I have not shown these quilts on my blog previously because I made them in 2010 before I was blogging. These quilts are just so beautiful and my sister loves them so much that she actually installed a new wood floor in her bedroom just so she could showcase the quilts (too funny).

Raspberry Ripple
The reason my sister got both quilts was that I started making the first quilt, named Raspberry Ripple (74" x 96") but then I had some weird thing going on and I was thinking that it was the wrong quilt for her. So, I started the second quilt which I named Luminous (70" x 92"). Of course, once I got it finished I realized that the problem was that both quilts were supposed to be for her. It is funny, but sometimes quilts do tell us who they belong to.

My sister had been going through a very difficult time because she had fallen at work and had broken her ankle in three places. The damage was so severe that she needed surgery and was going through a very long and painful recovery. I think these quilts brought some cheer to her just when she needed it the most!

Raspberry Ripple backing
Both quilts are fairly large and I quilted them in a meandering design on my DSM - Janome 6600.

Happily all is good now and she loves both quilts! I will be returning her quilts to her on Thursday and we will have a really nice visit together.

11 comments:

Jo said...

Both of your quilts are lovely. She is a very lucky sister

Quilter Kathy said...

I love how every log cabin quilt looks so different! It's such an amazing design block!

canuckquilter said...

Quilts at their best - beautiful and comforting :)

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love the colour of these Log Cabin Quilts. Great Job! Love sis

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love log cabins and have only made a mini. So many great setting for them.

Quiltbenaco said...

Il motivo log cabin รจ il mio preferito, mi piace molto anche l'insieme dei colori!
Fortunata tua sorella!
Ciao

Grit said...

Both quilts are so fantastic.

Deb A said...

I love how the lights and darks play together so well in your quilt. Just stunning. She is one lucky sister.

Chantal said...

Whoaaa! Those are so beautiful; they are striking. Very good use of colour placement. Love them both but especially Luminous with its second design of a trellis. Wonderful!

belarmina said...

Felicidades!!!
los dos edredones tiene una historia que me emociona, los de tu hermana
son especiales lo entiendo, yo todo lo que hago es para mi hermana Laly
lo hago especial, se merece todas mis atenciones para ella.
La de tu vecino, se me saltan las lagrimas ver cuanta gente buena y generosa tenemos alrededor
saludos

belarmina said...

Felicidades!!!
los dos edredones tiene una historia que me emociona, los de tu hermana
son especiales lo entiendo, yo todo lo que hago es para mi hermana Laly
lo hago especial, se merece todas mis atenciones para ella.
La de tu vecino, se me saltan las lagrimas ver cuanta gente buena y generosa tenemos alrededor
saludos