Saturday, May 31, 2014

Tranquility is Done!


The label is on, the thread tails are tucked in and the binding is sewn and it is a good thing too because I wrote May 2014 on the label. I love, love this quilt. It is just so pretty and...tranquil. I really could stare into it for hours.

I made this quilt for my niece Amanda and it really was such a joy to work on - the colours and the fabrics are just beautiful. Amanda and her Mom went on a few shopping trips and picked out just the right fabrics for her quilt. Amanda provided 99.9% of the fabric and she chose such beautiful fabrics - I just added little bits and pieces from my stash.

I quilted it with a dark blue thread and used a pantograph called Alfresco. I love the way the dark thread looks on the front of the quilt and it matches the backing perfectly. You can really see the quilting design as well as the texture and it looks wonderful.

I bound it with the same fabric that was used for the backing. This quilt is absolutely huge and finished at 90" x 93". We, my husband and my son, did our best to take photos but it was just so big!

Amanda lives in Winnipeg so I won't be able to hand deliver the quilt to her. I will be visiting her Mom, Glenda, in the next few weeks so I will take it with me and the next time she visits her Mom she will be able to take it home with her. I know she is eagerly waiting to see her finished quilt and I can't wait for her to receive it!

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen,
    what a beautiful quilt. I love all the blue fabrics and your wonderuful quilting.
    Have a nice weekend and take care
    Roswitha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ellen,

    cogratulation. The Quilt looks fantastic. I like the colours and fabrics and the quilting is perfect. Your nice will love the quilt.

    Have a wonderful weekend, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a wonderful quilt. Love all the shades of blue and purple. Lovely! Congrats on a finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's stunning,beautiful colours.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely quilt Ellen! I really like those fabrics--perfect for the title "Tranquility"! Beautiful work, hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful to have such a rewarding finish! I love the quilts that speak to us and yours seems perfectly named.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tranquility is beautiful...and tranquil! I could stare into it for hours, too! I know Amanda will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful colors. Beautiful work. Beautiful quilt. And, how many pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did an amazing job on a beautiful and ambitious quilt, Ellen. It's for your niece? That's a lot of work for a niece, I think. I've really never made anything - not even pot holders - for my nieces. Of course, there are 9 nieces and 8 nephews, and then kids and grandkids... keeps a quilter busy.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it Ellen.......!!
    Your niece is going to be over the moon when she gets her quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is fantastic, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely beautiful! What a perfect name. I know she will love it as much as you loved making it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt is so Gorgeous!
    Truly a stunning finish - you should be so proud.
    I'm sure your niece will cherish this quilt.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. EEEEEEEE!!! * LOVE* So over the moon excited to be embraced by this beauty! I love it Auntie Ellen : ) I obviously am completely inspired to conjure and create something beautiful in return! ahhh..love you and thank you and see you soon !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading them even though I can't always respond.

Life is too short to spend all of our free time on the computer....I need to quilt and so do you!! :)