Thursday, May 15, 2014

Making Slow but Steady Progress

Daniel's flimsy
Sometimes, I think I have the attention span of a gnat and sometimes even less! But....I did get the borders on both quilts I blogged about the other day. Daniel's quilt top is quite large -  86" x 96" and I could barely fit it on my hall design floor. This quilt has five borders and it did take me a bit more time to finish than I thought it would but it turned out so nice!!



Celtic Solstice flimsy
I also got my Celtic Solstice to the flimsy stage with a bit of aggravation and fudging. For some reason, and I should know better, I cut the neutral inner border according to the instructions instead of cutting it to fit 'my' pieced border and of course it didn't fit properly. I must have used a bit larger seam allowance when piecing the border because they ended up a bit small. I didn't want to remove and recut the inner border so I did what I hoped would work. I had a few extra triangle in a square pieces leftover so I used them to make each section of the pieced border a bit larger. Of course, that made each border about an inch or so too large for the quilt top so I just trimmed some of pieces by a quarter inch and stitched it all back together. I don't think you can tell that some of the pieces were 'modified'.

In the photo it looks like the outer border is a solid green but in fact it does have a small print and looks really good.

Now....just to stay focused enough to get some backings made. I do have to wash some of the backing fabric first, but more importantly, I also need to get two very small baby quilts quilted and finished for my next guild meeting. I think I will have to move those up the priority list before I can get to those backings.

.

11 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

You are making great progress Ellen! You have powered through a stage where many quilters give up! They look terrific!

Prima Donna said...

You have done an outstanding job. They are both wonderful, but I am partial to Daniel's quilt.

Aunt 'Reen said...

Congratulations...these are both gorgeous finishes!

Deb A said...

Beautiful job - they both came out great! Love your CS quilt.

belarmina said...

dos edredones preciosos!!!
no se cual elegir como favorito, los dos me gustan
saludos

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I'm am usually not fond of quilts with borders, but these are spectacular and yes all the work pays off. Your borders are a perfect compliment to the rest of the quilt. They are both just wonderful, but Daniel's is my favorite.

Michelle said...

Great job Ellen.......they both look wonderful.

Sheila said...

They are beautiful!

Manuela said...

Both quilts are fantastic.

Greetings, Manuela

scraphappy said...

Way to persevere through the borders. 5 borders is a huge accomplishment and it looks fabulous. Pieced borders can be so tricky, but I'm glad you made it work out in the end.

Jo said...

Wow. It does look great even though you had some mishaps. My friend and I will be starting this quilt at the end of the year.