Saturday, April 19, 2014

Hand Quilting


This morning I woke up bright and early, or should I say, dark and early because it really is still very dark at 4 am! When I came down to the family room I saw my blue Seven Sisters quilt laying in the corner of the room all neglected and lonely. I felt a few pangs of guilt because I had promised this quilt that I would quilt her and get her finished really quickly but you know how it goes...enough said.

I had purchased some new hand quilting needles and I wanted to try them out and this seemed the perfect opportunity. I have been using a #9 between because it felt more sturdy than a #10. I always found that when I used the #10 it seemed that I would have it bent before I finished even just a few stitches. Maybe it was the brand because these Roxanne #10 betweens seem to be quite sturdy and even though I have nearly quilted a complete Baptist Fan this morning it hasn't bent yet.

Look at the difference in size between my usual #9 and the new #10 - it is taking a bit of time to become accustomed to the smaller size but it isn't too bad. I probably should have put something in the photo to show the scale but they are quite small in comparison. The container itself is quite small and it holds 50 needles. I cannot imagine using a smaller needle - ever!

I am also trying a different quilting hoop. I have had this square plastic hoop for many years but haven't really given it much of a tryout. It had belonged to my SIL and when she passed it was given to me and I just stashed it away. It is something else that will take time to become accustomed to but I do think that it makes it easier to access more of the stitching area.

10 comments:

belarmina said...

Que bueno !!!!
Tengo esa tela azul, en verde para mi tormenta de mar, y otro verde mas claro para mi esposa del granjero.
He usado el bastidor cuadrado, pero me cambie al redondo y me encuentro mas cómoda, las agujas utilizo el nº12 de Clover, nº12 Roxanne se doblan, John James me cuesta enhebrarlas
saludos

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I have had good luck with the Roxanned needles. I love that they come in a larger quantity. Needles do wear out when quilting a large quilt. I need to sandwich a quilt and just don't have the motivation right now. The beautiful weather has captured my heart.

Michelle said...

Hi Ellen.......
My needles bend too..........I don't know my own strength.....lol
Your seven sisters quilt is lovely........and slow and steady wins the race ..........you will get it done.

Prima Donna said...

The Roxanne #10 is what I use. They seem to be stronger than most quilting betweens. Glad you are finding some quiet time to quilt the blue sister.

Jo said...

I have some Roxanne too.
Well done for picking up your quilting.
That's what I'm doing today

Quilter Kathy said...

I have never tried these needles... I will have to try to find some and see how they work. So happy to see the baptist fans again!! Happy Easter!

Peg said...

It completely baffles me how anybody can use those tiny needles and 'rock' the quilting stitch. I think I'm just too impatient!

audrey said...

The square hoops really are awkward to start using but once you get accustomed, it's hard to go back! Mostly because there seems to be less overlap in the stitching area with the square? Great stitching--I'm such a fan of the Baptist Fan.:)

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love that you are quilting your beautiful seven sisters quilt again! Sorry you can't sleep but it really is nice and quiet so early in the morning.Love sis

Deb A said...

That is very early! Glad you listened to the poor neglected quilt and gave it a little love. It is looking great - I do love the blue one!