Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Boy's Britches


I finished the quilting on this quilt at the end of January and since then it has been hanging around waiting for me to trim it and make the binding. My sewing room is really quite full and whenever I want to work on something I have to move a million things around to make space. I got a little tired of moving this quilt from space to space and decided it was time to trim it and get the binding made and attached.

I have started the process of hand stitching it to the back and I am really looking forward to seeing how it will all look when it is finished. I plan on working on it some time today and I plan to finish it over the next couple days. I have read on different blogs about how you hold your quilt when sewing the binding to the back. I always have the quilt sitting in my lap with the binding folded over and down - it just looks and feels a little awkward to do it any other way. Do you have a preference?

A closer look at the back and the quilting.
Before I can spend too much time with it today I need to take care of a few things. The groomer (my friend's daughter) will be coming mid day to give Molly and Peanut their Spring hair cuts so I need to get them bathed and dried before she gets here. I also need to make a run to the post office to mail my Block Lotto blocks. I am very late sending them but...well...it is what it is!

9 comments:

Peg said...

Sometimes it's just finishing up the last little bits that seems to take so long! It's so much fun starting the new stuff...... Love the backing on this one!

canuckquilter said...

I always stall near the finish. This will be a fun one to seeall bound and ready to use. I think I bind like you do - the quilt is in my lap, with the side edge flipped over like you show in your picture so I can work on the back of the binding, sewing right to left. Is there another way? :) Whatever works!

Chantal said...

Hang in there! You're on the home stretch! I'm a lefthander so I do things differently but the quilt is on my laps too unless it is huge. Those I drap over my quilting frame like that I don't have the weight pulling me down.

carla said...

Hi!!!! It is very pretty!!! I also love the backing material!!!!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your quilting looks great!

Jo said...

Good on you. I have a few that need bindings too.
I lay my quilt right side down on my knees with the binding closest to me. That way the binding folds away from me to the back. But I always get told I do things back to front. That's what works for me.

laurajane said...

Looking good,almost there.I have the suit on my lap too,with the back facing me and stitch it down from right to left.
I love stitching the binding,as I know near complete.xx

Deb A said...

Wow - I really need to finish something so I can do some binding. I had the quilt over me with the top showing and folded over like you. I go right to left with the stitches. Instead of going to the gym or cleaning I am going to sew today... my last chance this week.

Aunt 'Reen said...

When stitching binding to the back of the quilt I like to work on a large table. Keeping my quilt as flat as possible as I move along each side this eliminates weight and twisting along the edges as I sew.

I look forward to seeing the final finish of this Boys Britches quilt!