Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Chaining Away

Over the past couple days I have been stitching away chain piecing all of the rectangles into segments to make the blocks for my latest quilt. I need a total of 168 blocks for the quilt and I already have 30 blocks completed. I am now on the home stretch to finish the rest of them. I just need to finish sewing the two final strips to each block and I don't think that will take too much time as long as I sew them in the correct orientation. ;)

In my photo I don't think it looks like there are enough pieces made to make a whole quilt but there are enough parts to make a quilt 72" x 84" without borders.

I have used up a ton of rectangles from my scrap bin but I also cut a whole ton more from my strip bins, just to make sure I had some variety, so now my rectangle bin is overflowing again...hee...hee. So far, these blocks have used 1344 scrappy rectangles - now that is what I call stash-busting!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

They look great Ellen.........
That's a lot of pieces too.

Deb A said...

Awesome! I love your pattern - great for a male or just a scrappy throw.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Way to go! Love piecing, its so quick and easy. Cant' wait to see the top when done. Love sis

Kindred Quilts said...

Scrappy and quick... great beginnings for a quilt!!!

Michele said...

That is a huge amount of rectangles! How fun!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Ohhh.... I like what I'm seeing already! I just love scrappy quilts with lots of piece work. I can't wait to see how this all turns out.
Happy Stash Busting!