Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Engineer's Quilt


I finally got brave enough to load my husband's quilt on the frame yesterday. It did take courage because once I had it loaded it meant that I was committed to quilting it. Once loaded, it just sat on the frame waiting patiently because I needed to bolster up some more courage to actually start quilting it. I planned to try and learn how to use a ruler on this quilt and it was really intimidating me.

I have never done ruler work and this quilt proves it! At this point, I am trying to do stitch in the ditch but really it is stitch and miss the ditch  most of the time. ;-) It is taking me quite a bit of time to get used to following along the ruler and I have many jerky veers off the straight line and not only that, my straight lines are very frequently not in the ditch either.

I have had a few very startling moments because I must have hit the ruler at least four times - that will certainly get your heart pounding and jolt you back to reality!!

I am going to work on it some more this morning and I am actually looking forward to it even though I am still a bit intimidated by it. I know that I can only get better each time I try. I guess that is the best thing about starting at the bottom - you can only go up.

6 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my... it sounds challenging! Good for you to keep at it... stay brave!

Linda said...

Oh my Ellen. That is a beautiful quilt. Lucky husband. And I had to laugh out loud when you told about hitting the ruler. I've sure done that a time or two.

soscrappy said...

Ruler work does take time to get used to. You will feel much better at it by the time you get to the end of the quilt though. Stitch in the ditch is a much harder thing on a longarm than anyone would guess. Keep at it though, you will be amazed by what you can do!

audrey said...

Good luck! The learning curve is almost always a difficult one.:)

Mary said...

It must be the year for learning new things on "man quilts". I love ruler work and I am pretty good at that. I stink at free hand curves and FEATHERS. I think I hate feathers. I am not sure how other people do it but I do my best ruler work setting down. It helps keep me from over reaching. I have to stand for most things but ruler work I definitely set. Practice makes perfect and really ruler work doesn't take a lot. You just have to find YOUR rhythm. Good luck! (I hope to have mine off the frame and use for Friday Finish this week)

Aunt 'Reen said...

What a beautiful quilt for hubby!
Good luck with the longarm quilting! Congratulations on your bravery to try something new!